C4 Forums | Control4

Wake Up Agent

Jaffacree

Wake-Up agent is basically a stand alone "service" for...alarm use. Works basically the same as an alarm clock.

There is a way around it's "limitations" and "automate" this feature however. The following is thanks to Ryan Jackson - credit to where credit is due.

Instead of using the built-in alarm features, create an empty wake-up scene.

Then under programming, program whatever you want that scene to do when triggered (event programming is possible for this).

Here you can do what-ever IF statements you want. IF variable is true - IF alarm is armed to stay - you get the point.

Make the wake-up scene active in appropriate room, set time.

Nice thing here is that you have a way to set/change the time it happens from a user interface - as opposed to a direct schedule event that can only be changed using Composer.

At my house i wanted to automate that procedure so i have some accent lights in my room that turn on at 8pm via a scheduled event. If i manually turn the lights off it activates my wakeup scene. If i don't manually turn off the light by 1am (im not home) then the wakeup scene doesn't execute.

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
At my house i wanted to automate that procedure so i have some accent lights in my room that turn on at 8pm via a scheduled event. If i manually turn the lights off it activates my wakeup scene. If i don't manually turn off the light by 1am (im not home) then the wakeup scene doesn't execute.

Ok, so this is a high tech solution to the old dilemma of the alarm clock going off indefinitely if no one is home?

I would want to do something more along the lines of if no one has pressed any buttons on the system from x hour to x hour then it assumes no one is home. I would need to determine the max time that no one would reasonably press any buttons on the system, and have a timer or something. If the timer reaches max wakeup would not occur. Seems like there ought to be a simpler way, like tying into motion sensors or something. I would be afraid I wouldn't manually turn the light off in your solution.

And you could do this off of a motion - if motion senses motion, if time is between 8pm and 12pm (example, whatever makes sense of course), set variable (wake up active) to true.

On the wake-up, use that variable in an IF to execute or not. then set variable to false.

Or, do it off of alarm to stay only. Or the Living room TV going on or off in the evening. Or a camera sensing motion (or a DVR) using the alarm outs if applicable. Or.....

If you want to go crazy you could have a motion at say a front door + a time set variable to trigger a certain timer off of the wake-up to make the "alarm" go off later if it senses motion late (ie you got in a late night of partying). All depends on how much automation you want for how much time (and possible money) ;)

• 1 month later...

So, if i program my blank wake up agent to be enabled off of motion at a set time, it looks like this under the motion sensor...

If time is between x and x

Variables>Wakeup Active = true

Then under the Wake up Agent programming section how does that work? All i get is options for when the scene execute, i cant tell it to execute or not. How does that programming look?

Then under the programming agent you would have what you want to do for a wakeup. When the wakeup scene executes (at my place) the radio starts at a certain volume, then after 10 minutes it gets louder by a couple volume increments, then 10 minutes after that it turns up again, just to make sure im up...

In your circumstance @ some predefined time in the am you would set the wakeup agent to false or off everyday so it resets itself.

Ryan

• 2 years later...

I recently moved and am renting a property, I set up a small project in my apartment.  I have no lightning or thermostats.  The comfort tab is not on my navigator, therefore I do not have the Wakeup Agent there either.  Any thoughts to get this available on my navigator?

I recently moved and am renting a property, I set up a small project in my apartment.  I have no lightning or thermostats.  The comfort tab is not on my navigator, therefore I do not have the Wakeup Agent there either.  Any thoughts to get this available on my navigator?

sounds like the wake up agent isn't in the project

The agent is and has been in the project.  I just moved this new project from my old house and moved it into my new apartment.  I just removed any of the things that I do not have in the current house.  The agent is in the project, and I have modified the agent to do what I need it to do in this new project.

It is interesting to read how other members enable and disable their wake-up scene when no one is home.

What I find effective is to start these programming with a Vacation variable

IF Vacation is False then...execute alarm, wake-up, reminder, announcement etc

IF Vacation is True then... none of the programming executes

But...

Let's us not take away from the fact that the Wake-Up Agent in it self needs a MAJOR overhaul.

Archived