C4 Forums | Control4

What's the difference between press and single tap?

zaphod

When programming events attached to a 6 button what is the difference between a press and a single tap?

Will a press occur whenever the button is pressed even if the press is in the process of doing a double or triple tap?

Will a press occur upon a button being pushed and occur before it is released, whereas a tap only occurs once a button is pressed and then released?

Is there a time limit that determines a tap? For example if you hold down a button for several seconds does this mean that it is not a tap?

Similarly how long do you have to complete a double tap or triple tap?

In our devices, and I’m guessing most others are similar, there is a bit of lag with the tap count because we have to wait to see if there are more taps coming. Don’t want to report a double tap when someone is in the middle of a triple tap.

Press and release are each reported immediately on each press and each release. They’re a bit quicker than tap commands but get triggered on every press and release so if you program with tap counts as well as press and release then you’re going to be triggering your press and release events multiple times during your multiple tap.

For example, events will be triggered in this order:

1 press

Press

Release

Short delay

If no more presses then Single Tap

2 presses in a row

Press

Release

Press

Release

Short delay

If no more presses then Double Tap

3 presses in a row

Press

Release

Press

Release

Press

Release

Short delay

If no more presses then Triple Tap

4 presses in a row

Press

Release

Press

Release

Press

Release

Press

Release

I guess there is some lack of agreement on this. Glad to know before I make a bunch of wholesale changes one way or another' date=' I guess I will need to test:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=10743[/quote']

I don't see any disagreement- use press or release if speed is your bag.

Agreed. The only problem is it makes double taps impossible.

Agreed. The only problem is it makes double taps impossible.

No, you can use Press and Release and still implement double taps, you just have to do it yourself.

Typically, though, it's better to use the buttons' built-in double tap if you want it, since timing on ZigBee messages *can* be (anywhere from mildly to wildly) variable.

RyanE

Archived