C4 Forums | Control4

The BIG boys are about to jump in

I know it's been discussed before with some folks saying they didn't believe it would happen, BUT.... Google's little know X Team is about in intro an automation solution. These are the guys responsible for Glasse's, the self driving car, and more.

Not saying its going to be competition for C4, at least initially, but it should be interesting!

http://qz.com/63143/google-builds-an-x-team-of-tech-executives-but-for-what/

I know it's been discussed before with some folks saying they didn't believe it would happen, BUT.... Google's little know X Team is about in intro an automation solution. These are the guys responsible for Glasse's, the self driving car, and more.

Not saying its going to be competition for C4, at least initially, but it should be interesting!

http://qz.com/63182

This is the link you really want:

http://qz.com/63143/google-builds-an-x-team-of-tech-executives-but-for-what/

And before anyone panics - remember that while google can do some great tings - they also can simply announce that they are no longer supporting something and it simply vanishes.

Not something that I want to happen to my automation.

Bill

Thanks and agreed... None the less, still interesting and may drive more innovation.

But a "service" is a bit different then a physical product.

I LOVE competition. I love people competing for my money - it drives the price lower and usually gives me better service.

I agree.

I would like to see some standardization though - I mean if everyone that comes out has a new standard and they are not compatible - that does not help the situation.

Bill

"Control systems" is what the Google guy actually said, not "automation".

Automation is what the *article writer* hypothesized from that.

*Everything* these days uses Control Systems.

Not that it matters. It is what it is, and Google will either produce something in this space or not, and until it's announced, there's really no point in working yourselves (or Control4) up over it.

Should be interesting, though. Love to see what they're doing with the self-driving cars.

RyanE

Thanks and agreed... None the less' date=' still interesting and may drive more innovation.

But a "service" is a bit different then a physical product.[/quote']

I LOVE competition. I love people competing for my money - it drives the price lower and usually gives me better service.

I agree.

I would like to see some standardization though - I mean if everyone that comes out has a new standard and they are not compatible - that does not help the situation.

Bill

I'd love to see a standard created as well, but that's a big battle with everything.

"Control systems" is what the Google guy actually said, not "automation".

Automation is what the *article writer* hypothesized from that.

*Everything* these days uses Control Systems.

Not that it matters. It is what it is, and Google will either produce something in this space or not, and until it's announced, there's really no point in working yourselves (or Control4) up over it.

Should be interesting, though. Love to see what they're doing with the self-driving cars.

RyanE

I dont think anyone is worked up and I'd bet C4 isn't. It's inevitable with the technology explosion we are just entering that automation would become mainstream. Personally I'm worked up that I may not live long enough to really see where all of this is going.

It is fun and interesting to watch and talk about though.

The other reason it doesn't sound like home automation to me is that Home Automation isn't exactly "bold and radical as a self-driving car" like the article says.

Fun and Useful, yes. Bold and Radical? Not so much.

RyanE

I have talked to the people at VoicePod and they are releasing their product in April. At that point, I will have voice control of my house and quite frankly, almost to nirvana with my vision of what I wanted to accomplish with an automated house.

Bill

I've never been enamored with voice control of Home Automation.

I just can't see myself talking to my house, especially if I am not alone. If I lived alone, I think it might be something I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

RyanE

I just can't see myself talking to my house, especially if I am not alone. If I lived alone, I think it might be something I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

RyanE

agreed.. Samsung S-Voice, Siri, Google Now all are just meh.. they are cool but still not great for doing day to day things

I think the guys that are going to stir things up are Nest. There's an interesting article in The Economist http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21572922-tony-fadell-helped-revolutionise-music-and-phone-industries-now-he-turning where the CEO said,

“This is not about creating random one-off products,” he says. “It’s about finding synergies between them and building a really long-term business.” He is coy about other areas the firm might tackle, but lighting is an obvious one.

I agree - Nest is the tip of the iceberg. The Kickstarter smart irrigation system that someone posted here is another Nest-like device that makes a lot of sense. I would think that knowing the weather forecast is of even more value to an irrigation system than to a t-stat. Usually there is no point in watering your lawn if it is going to rain a lot in the next day or so - that will save you money and is superior to existing systems that don't water if it HAS rained not if it is going to rain.

RyanE

Well - I will let you know - personally - I don't mind doing things on my phone it touchscreen. BUT - my WIFE on the other hand LOVEs to say - let's do "this" - and if she could "turn on or off" something by simply commanding it - I think that she would love it - MAYBE I will "MEH" as well once i have it - but - it is still coming and I will let you know.

Bill

Actually I think you'll see more and more states and municipalities put the kabosh on lawn sprinklers. It's a huge waste and most systems are poorly designed.

Huh? So how do you keep the lawn growing?

We have unlimited irritation water at my place for $8/Mo. I can water the lawn 24/7 and not only does nobody care, but my bill doesn't go up a penny.

Actually I think you'll see more and more states and municipalities put the kabosh on lawn sprinklers. It's a huge waste and most systems are poorly designed.

Huh? So how do you keep the lawn growing?

We have unlimited irritation water at my place for $8/Mo. I can water the lawn 24/7 and not only does nobody care' date=' but my bill doesn't go up a penny.[/quote']

Lots of places are moving this direction and I know many with hefty fines for those that try and sneak in a watering.

How do you keep your lawn growing? You don't unless it rains.

Watering bills around my area cost folks $200 - $500 a month depending in the weather. I refuse to water anymore. Which has the added benefit of not needing to mow, if I don't have to mow I can mix up a pitcher of sangria and enjoy the sun.

We have unlimited irritation water at my place for $8/Mo. I can water the lawn 24/7 and not only does nobody care, but my bill doesn't go up a penny.

Unless, of course, it's a 'dry year', in which case, you have to water on odd or even days, assigned, and can't water on Sundays, etc.

Overall, pressurized irrigation is a pretty darn good deal, but it's not guaranteed if there's water issues.

Also, at least mine, it's $8 / month all year, even though the water isn't on all year, so actual costs are a *bit* more.

RyanE

Archived