C4 Forums | Control4

Ideas for Quieter POE?

earo

I currently have a 48 port Dell gigabit, POE switch for my JAP 4x4 video distribution. Everything is working fine. However, the switch is very, very loud. From what I understand, the loudness is due to 48 port switch with POE. I currently only have 8 ports that require POE (4 JAP receivers + 4 C4 7” touchscreens). Given the installation is in a tight NYC apartment, there are few options to reposition the switch to further isolate the noise. At night, you can hear it across the entire apartment despite a solid core door and some rubber weather stripping around the door for additional acoustical insulation. I am now adding another TV and JAP receiver to my setup, providing a 4 source x 5 display “matrix”. Since I am having my dealer come out and redo a bunch of other things as part of this, I’m considering alternatives, largely to address the noise issue.

I feel like I have the following options:

a) Suck it up, deal with the noise and buy another JAP receiver. This is by far the “easy road”. Incremental cost: ~$800 for JAP receiver + labor; No noise reduction

B) Purchase a smaller POE switch (say a 10 port one) just for JAP and the touchscreens and replace the current 48 port switch with a non POE switch. Incremental cost: $800 for JAP + $400 for 10 port switch POE switch + $400 for add’l switch.

c) Purchase the 52 port Cisco SG300 non POE switch and use POE injectors. Incremental cost: $800 for JAP + $900 for switch + $400 for inectors

d) Scrap JAP and go w/ Atlona or equiv 8x8?

I recognize this is largely subjective, but any advice on what might be the quietest solution would be very helpful. Whether or not it’s worth the money is a separate discussion.

Thanks!

We had the same issue in our house. The equipment rack is in our game room. I needed to power 8 POE devices (7 touch screens and a door bell unit). We initally installed a 8 port POE switch from cisco and it was very loud. The dealer installed individual POE injectors (they didn't have a fan) and now the closet is very quiet. We also had fans on the wirepath security camera unit (I had them cut that wire off) and also on the rack that held the components (I had them turn those off also). The closet where the equipment rack is has a return for the AC, has a temperature controlled vent (with a very quiet fan) that sucks out air and blows it outside (just like a vent in a bathroom) if the closet gets hot, although I have never heard it turn on, and the door is a louvered door so that there is adequate ventilation. I have felt the different components on many occsaions and they are always cool. Its going to cost you some money but for us it was worth it because of the noise issue.

Most PoE switches are LOUD. here are some examples but JAP will limit you. Not sure why you are running JAP and the rest on the same switch however - it's generally advised not too, but that's a different discussion.

Best way to reduce the noise is to go with a non PoE switch and use injectors or midspans (midspans tending to come in cheaper when using multiple PoE injectors.

I;d stick with JAP - it's the best one out there, and buying a new Atlona or otheratec will set you back more than an added JAP + new switch(es) + midspan.

Most PoE switches are LOUD. here are some examples but JAP will limit you. Not sure why you are running JAP and the rest on the same switch however - it's generally advised not too, but that's a different discussion.

Best way to reduce the noise is to go with a non PoE switch and use injectors or midspans (midspans tending to come in cheaper when using multiple PoE injectors.

I;d stick with JAP - it's the best one out there, and buying a new Atlona or otheratec will set you back more than an added JAP + new switch(es) + midspan.

My gut was telling me the same. Go with a dedicated 10 port switch for the JAP (4 inputs/transmitters; 5 outputs/receivers) + a midspan for the 5 JAP receivers + 4 touchscreens + new regular 48 port gigabit switch. While it's a lot of coin to shell out, I sure hope it's quieter.

Any tips on a quiet 48 port, non POE switch?

Blackwire Kevin, any thoughts here?

Kevin's stuff is great but as long as you get a non-PoE you'll find it won't be loud at all. Unless you need managed specifically There's well priced Netgear Prosafes and HP/3COMS out there, but the 50 port Planet from Blackwire is great too (remember that to make a managed switch work well with C4 gear attached to it, you need to dumb it down - unless you're handy in this sort of thing - go for an un-managed - or a Blackwire pre-set ;))

I'd go with door D and pick up a new Atlona or equivalent high end matrix. That being said I am biased but I've also had an Atlona 8X8 matrix for almost 3 years and it has been flawless. If you have the coin I would not hesitate. Just don't go cheap or you will regret it :)

LOL Atlona WOULD technically be going cheap in this case.

Just had 3 matrix switch receivers fry again from Atlona in the last 4 weeks. And it seems one switch might be a blow-out altogether elsewhere. I won't advise AGAINST Atlona as such, but I'm certainly not a die-hard fan :/

LOL Atlona WOULD technically be going cheap in this case.

Just had 3 matrix switch receivers fry again from Atlona in the last 4 weeks. And it seems one switch might be a blow-out altogether elsewhere. I won't advise AGAINST Atlona as such, but I'm certainly not a die-hard fan :/

How many Atlona Matrixes have you actually installed? What is the failure rate 100%?

What is the best 8X8 Matrix in your opinion and why?

Hmm around 10% overall, probably 20% on the individual receivers. Plus some versions have an annoying habit of locking up if the controller they are connected to boots up while the swittch is on (can't handel the rs232 start-up, debatable where the blame lies I know).

Best 8x8? Hard to say. I've seen LESS failure so far in AvenView. Very much on the fence for Binary. Both of these are cheaper also. We're looking into another brand (only have one running on test site so far - THINK it's Factor?) that looks promising.

LEAF and Hydra look good but my experience is limited, they also tend to be on the higher cost side.

Best is still JAP/Blackwire. Just works, great backward support (3D firmware update for 2g product comes to mind, uncompressed audio as well) and it's expandability is just such a great advantage. But it comes at the "price" of higher cost.

there are a bunch of options you can go with

Cisco 10 port POE just for the JAP system and then another switch and a 4 port midspan etc etc.. It just comes down to what you want to spend more then anything. there are many fanless options

I had that same noise problem with a Netgear POE switch. The fans that they come with are insanely loud. I opened the unit up and replaced the factory fans with quieter ones from Frys Electronics. They cost about $10 each and still blow a ton of air but they are way quieter. Of course, you have to decide if changing the factory unit is something you feel comfortable with.

Archived