C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendation: New ProSAFE Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Smart Switch GS752TP

If you are looking for a new switch I give the new Netgear Smart Switches my highest recommendation. I swapped out my old switches (2 X FS726TP's and a GS108T) with a GS752TP last night and it was 100% painless! All I had to do was plug in the cables. My network, 3 NAS's, Control4 hardware, HDMI distribution, multi Cameras and VOIP phone all work better than ever. My transfer speed from NAS to Mac went from 80 MB/sec to 126 MB/sec!!!

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart-switches/smart-switches/GS728TP_GS728TPP_GS752TP.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
LOL swapping out any switch is a simple as moving over the cables. But I'll agree these are great switches.

That's what I thought until I had some serious issues swapping out a switch earlier this year. I had some major conflicts with Sonos and the Spanning Tree Protocol. Everything was working fine w/ my old (but very loud) 48 port Dell switch w/ Sonos. But then we tried swapping it out and all hell broke loose. I eventually found it easiest to go w/ an unmanaged switch to avoid the conflicts. To this day I'm still confused as to what happened, why it happened and what I could have done to prevent it. But the managed switches from Netgear and Planet simply didn't work.

LOL swapping out any switch is a simple as moving over the cables. But I'll agree these are great switches.

That's what I thought until I had some serious issues swapping out a switch earlier this year. I had some major conflicts with Sonos and the Spanning Tree Protocol. Everything was working fine w/ my old (but very loud) 48 port Dell switch w/ Sonos. But then we tried swapping it out and all hell broke loose. I eventually found it easiest to go w/ an unmanaged switch to avoid the conflicts. To this day I'm still confused as to what happened' date=' why it happened and what I could have done to prevent it. But the managed switches from Netgear and Planet simply didn't work.[/quote']

Sonos is somewhat specific on how things get set-up if your using a managed switch, these configurations are discussed at length on their forums. Yes an unmanaged switch is the generally the best option.

All my stuff is in the mechanical room too, but that happens to be across the hall from my theater. That isn't why I'm asking though, because that room seals off well enough. Being just across the hall from the theater I thought it would be cool to flush mount the main rack in the wall, across the hall from the theater doors. It does look super cool, and I get lots of compliments on it, but that fan is noisy.

I'll probably just move the switch to the other rack, away from that opening.

Archived