C4 Forums | Control4

Non-traditional theater - open to second story above?

So someone was brainstorming with me today and threw out the idea of having a "theater room" on the first floor, but having it open to a playroom above, the thought being that you could see it from the second floor too. I personally haven't seen this done and was curious if anyone had any thoughts to share, other than "that sounds dumb". My thoughts are - a huge screen and bright projector, or do you duplicate everything kind of like a stacked theater? If it genuinely is dumb then I can suggest an alternative but you never know unless you ask. Also, if Club411 has done this he's probably the guy to ask.

You would also have to think about the off axis viewing in correlation to where the screen is mounted. If the screen is mounted lower to accommodate the first floor, then the viewing from up top will look dull, IMO.

I think you will encounter this on most screen material types. The only one, i believe or could be wrong, which I also haven't been able to sell yet, would be the StarGlass.

Oh also, your audio reflections will probably be all over the place if the speaker placement isnt perfect.

Sorry, just reread your post, doubling up on the display could work out well. Screen for lower level and upper level also requiring 2 projectors. You could also use the receiver as a preamp and get multichannel amps to split the speaker outputs for both upper and lower levels.

Sounds like a cool and different project. Just spitballing here while having some cocktails.

I think it would depend on the size of the room, how it opens to the second floor, etc.

I've seen this kind of stuff done in clubs, bars, etc. However they generally have multiple TV's hung on the second floor vs trying to watch the movie from the second floor.

Of course with a large enough room and screen it wouldn't be an issue, would be like going to the theater and sitting in the balcony. Of course that would be a large screen for a home, but no unheard of.

220" is an excellent size, I own one, still very viewable and throw distance shouldn't be a huge issue. My screen is from Harkness Screens, the largest producer of cinema screens in the world, and its who I would highly recommend. Many of the normal residential brands aren't going to be offered in this size and those that are may not be seamless.

220" is an excellent size, I own one, still very viewable and throw distance shouldn't be a huge issue. My screen is from Harkness Screens, the largest producer of cinema screens in the world, and its who I would highly recommend. Many of the normal residential brands aren't going to be offered in this size and those that are may not be seamless.

What PJ are you using?

We've done a pool with a second story (40f high total) boardwalk with seating around it with a 28' drop-down screen and an InFocus large venue (don't remember the model, dual bulbs etc). Looks great close-up and far away, even in daytime it's easily viewable (and the pool has large windows all around, full on windows south side along the whole 40f height with only minor blinds in place).

And that's not the biggest.

So no, not all that crazy at all.

I'd have preferred a different projector but wasn't my call to make - turned out far better than expected though.

InFocus large venue (don't remember the model, dual bulbs etc).

IN5555L was the one.

If I remember correct we spec'd a Sim2 Teatro 80 originally with a 50 (single bulb) as a lower price option but client wanted to keep the projector under 20k (for perspective, the indoor pool alone cost a big '1', but the projector had to be down-scaled... :/ ).

In then end though I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with what a 18k projector did in that room.

Archived