C4 Forums | Control4

How to check the status of a Kwikset lock?

sweeper154

I'm trying to program a 6 button keypad in my garage to have a red light on a button if the front door lock is unlocked. I have a Kwikset lock and can't seem to find a "lock state" indicator in Composer Home Ed. Is there something that I'm missing? I have some other programming that locks the doors at night which works but it doesn't check the status of the lock, it just locks it.

Under the lock in the 'Programming' section, there are certain 'events' listed:

- Unlocked Manually

- Locked Manually

- Unlocked

- Not Locked

I've tried adding the following Action to the 6button keypad under the "Unlocked" and "Not Locked" options from above :

- Set LED: 6 current color to Red on Garage>Garage 6 Button

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Yeah... The actual lock driver does not give you conditionals. What you need to do is have your dealer add a generic lock to the project and then bind the kwickset lock driver to the generic lock driver. Then you can use conditional "If" statements on the generic lock

Ryan

Yeah...nor should you need conditionals, just events, which the kwikset driver does have. Plus it DOES have condistionals on the right hand side under the break-out.

However these (the standard events) do not seem to be working for me either at the moment, not certain why. The break-out events do however (press the '+' in front of the lock on the left window in programming) The driver was re-certified for 2.5.2 two weeks ago.

Programming this off of the generic lock driver will however work for this scenario. So will using the Break-out Events (press plus before the lock on the left) plus the break-out conditionals (plus on the right and side). I'll see what I can figure out otherwise (this also may affect low battery etc.)

Mind you, using unlocked option there may not trigger the event if the auto-lock feature is used because the unit's check-in time may be shorter than it's auto-lock time.

My system is running on 2.4 and I'm not sure I know how to check the firmware version. I can't find a model number on the lock but it looks like the one on this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Control4-Polished-Kwikset-SmartCode-Technology/dp/B003UBJT7G/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1382679945&sr=1-4&keywords=control4+kwikset

If there is a way to see the firmware version in Composer Home, let me know and I'll look into it. I appreciate the effort!

So, after some back and forth with both C4 engineers and kwikset - it's still unclear why some of the old drivers don't function (as the new driver does not include new firmware for the locks) - at least on some locks.

That said, a NEW driver is now available, version label 6, that seems to work perfectly well.

Unfortunately that means either re-installing or updating the lock driver with ComposerPro. Still communicating on the older drivers, but it may be best to have them updated anyway..

We had a lock that opened too far and the lock thought it was still locked even when unlocked. When we manually moved the lever up just a small amount, it now registered as unlocked (you can see this from the Lock/Unlock/Toggle icons when you double click the lock).

This happened every time and we never took apart the lock to try and fix or replace with a new one. Still waiting to get called back to this place to fix it. No programming could be done based off the condition of the lock because it always thought it was locked.

Possibly the same could be happening to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your feedback and time. I was able to find another way to resolve this issue and wanted to share.  I found another "device event" for my front door lock that had 2 radio buttons:

• When the Front Door is locked
  • When the Front Door is unlocked

I simply set the LED for the keypad to black for the first and red for the 2nd event from above.  That seems to be working as I had hoped.

• 2 months later...

@sweeper - Where did you find that device event?  Do you use variables for this programming or do you just change the LED when the Door Lock status changes?  I just got door locks and I am trying to figure out how to do the programming to control them.

• 1 month later...

@zaphod - In case you're still looking for this, here are some screenshots from my project.

The lock triggers two events: 1) turn LED to RED when unlocked and 2) turn LED to BLACK when locked.

unlocked

The other event is on the 6 button keypad.  The Single Tap option locks the front door.

G button

Hope this helps and sorry for the late notice.  I haven't been on this forum in a while.

Archived