C4 Forums | Control4

Media pleyer help

C4sb

I've been having a difficult time deciding which media player to buy for integration in my theater.

I want something fairly small that can play MKVs from my NAS and would like if it had internet streaming like Pandora and Vudu. I don't need a to play blu rays or a HDD with it. I have a separate blu ray player.

I've looked at these:

Dune TV-303D

Dune TV-102 (does it support or passthrough DTS audio?)

Popbox 3D

Roku 3

Netgear NeoTV-300 MAX

I would like to integrate my movie collection on the NAS with the Control4 movie database. Which of the media players integrate well with Control4? Does anybody use these, and how do they perform?

I've been trying to decide on one for a few months now and keep going back and forth.

thanks.

What's the real difference between the Popbox, the A400 and the C300?

I have limited experience with a Popbox, but have a pair of C300's and an A400.

From what I can tell the C300 is the nicer unit, having FULL BLURAY ISO MENU SUPPORT. I can also accept multiple internal drives and a Bluray drive. However, the A400 automatically turns on when plugged in, so that's a benefit towards it. The C300 needs to be physically turned on with the factory remote or physical button depress.

I don't need internal drives, or a bluray drive...I just need to playback media but enjoy having the full bluray menu support. Is there something in the Popcorn Hour lineup that accomplishes this?

The top 4 all integrate very well with C4, but the Roku prob won't do what you want.

I'd stay away from the 'lighter' dune also. Both the Popcorn and other Dune will likely do what you want, and either would work well. Popcorn seems to be the more popular at the moment. I personally liked the Dune better in the past but if you have and are used to popcorn - stick with them, you can use what you have.

To throw another in the mix, after demo's and some talks we're going to DiamondDesign's own piece (full MyMovies integration) : http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/store/cat-dd_Smart_Server-54-1.aspx

Ok. I like the looks of the netgear. Is there an IP driver for it that will also let me stream Pandora through control4? Does anybody have experience with the NeoTV Max? I hesitate with it because nobody here on the forums seems to talk about it.

thanks

Archived