C4 Forums | Control4

Quick Coverart (digital audio MP3 albums) Question

R_Willis

Reason I ask, is I'm having some problems with coverart and the screen saver agent.

I've tried both a USB (Seagate FreeAgent 250gb) and a Western Digital NAS (500gb My Book). Currently wanting to get the NAS Western Digital running.

When scanning the media find neither the artists or coverart. Just the album name. If you go in and do a Edit/Search under media it WILL find the artist and coverart. Then when you click finish it says updating. You go back and the coverart is gone again, however it has everything else corrected and right. You can view the artist info and the description and all the other stuff it found via navigator on the MTS and navigators though. Where is the coverart disappearing to?

When you run the Tools/ControllingNetworking/Test Internet Connection I get a Success for all three (cd/dvd lookup service, media web service, updates web service).

I've tried to run the scan in Composer with both my WindowsXP firewall and my AVG AntiVirus/Security firewall down. Neither changed anything.

Also, when trying to add pictures it says scaling with a status bar then I get this error: "Could Not Find Part of the path: \\192.xxx.x.xxx\media" which is the address of my HC300. Shouldn't it be trying to go to the NAS which has a different IP then that?

I'm currently trying to get the Networked WD My Book working.

Using a Motorola Surfboard 5120 Modem, D-Link DI-604 (4 port router), and Netgear 726 Switch if that helps.

Any ideas and help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Robert Willis

-c4 newbie in training-

i was having a similar problem.

you might try disconnecting the drives from the controller, delete them from the project, reboot the controller, then re-attach the drives and wait for the system to recognize the drive.

then re-scan and see if that doesn't find all the data of each file

Appreciate the comment. Tried all that though.

i was having a similar problem.

you might try disconnecting the drives from the controller, delete them from the project, reboot the controller, then re-attach the drives and wait for the system to recognize the drive.

then re-scan and see if that doesn't find all the data of each file

is your nas assigned a static ip? same subnet as the rest of your gear? I like the buffalo nas storage devices cause they are native linux. I'm not sure if it helps much (linux on the c4 gear) but with control 4 gear they work perfect.

Also this might be a upnp thing? try dmzing the ip of your nas in your router as well. Could be the router being bad.

To answer your original question - coverart is stored where DIRECTOR resides. Meaning - if you've got a network made up of HTC, HC-300's and a Media Controller - it follows where the DIRECTOR service is running from - EVEN if your music is on a NAS or on the Media Controller. THIS IS WHY - when you have a Media Controller in the project, it is best to make that unit the DIRECTOR (and make sure you turn off the Navigator - as the two together are resource hogs).

So for another example - if you have DIRECTOR running on an HC-300 and have all your music on a Media Controller - it "IS" possible to eventually run out of RAM in the HC-300 and no more cover art will be displayed on your screens / panels. Whereas, moving DIRECTOR to the Media Controller - it has the entire HARD DRIVE to fill up with Media / Cover Art.

is your nas assigned a static ip? same subnet as the rest of your gear? I like the buffalo nas storage devices cause they are native linux. I'm not sure if it helps much (linux on the c4 gear) but with control 4 gear they work perfect.

Also this might be a upnp thing? try dmzing the ip of your nas in your router as well. Could be the router being bad.

Nope, NAS and all other devices are DHCP, not static.

I'll try to put the NAS under DMZ and see if that helps.

It is an old (3+ yr) cheap D-Link router. But, everything seems to be working fine.

We're having the exact same problem. I can see Album art and any TV/Radio art files in the Navigator screens attached to my TV's (i.e., directly from the controller), but not from the MTS. No coverart of any kind whatsoever. That tells me that its not communicating with the controller somehow, or that the image files aren't being transferred properly. Is there a network setting in the MTS that tells it where to look for coverart?

FYI, All of the C4 equipment has been assigned a static IP address.

You can try a couple of things. Try hitting the info button, director, then highlight and select. Or just hold down the big knob on the front and let it reboot.

Also double check network settings under info.

I have done the following:

- Hit info/director/select

- Reboot HTC (from holding big knob)

- Set static IP for all C4 gear

- Confirmed router gateway is set as DNS IP in MTS

Still no joy.

The other weird thing is that the coverart doesn't even show in Composer. But the Navigator screens connected to the HC300's do have albumart.

Any other suggestions? I can't understand why this isn't working. I'm assuming its a network problem but don't know what else to try?

• 1 year later...
We're having the exact same problem. I can see Album art and any TV/Radio art files in the Navigator screens attached to my TV's (i.e., directly from the controller), but not from the MTS. No coverart of any kind whatsoever. That tells me that its not communicating with the controller somehow, or that the image files aren't being transferred properly. Is there a network setting in the MTS that tells it where to look for coverart?

FYI, All of the C4 equipment has been assigned a static IP address.

^Did you ever get over this one? I have this same problem! Thanks

Have you done the INTERNET TEST option? If so - do it just to double check all settings are correct.

After you do that - and it all checks out - please post more exact specific detail to your setup. You're still describing a networking issue... I've seen it many times - and each and every time it's come down to something in the network setup wrong. Your best bet is to have your main controller set to static (and triple check the config!!!) and have all other controllers / devices use DHCP that comes off of your router.

Next - make sure they've all been identified!! You may want to have your dealer come back and re-identy everything - as if a name of a device was changed - it'll no longer work correctly in the network until it's been re-identified.

Hope this helps.

Shawn, thanks for your time here. Dealer was out yesterday and we went over the IP addresses. Static on the director and on the Zigbee server (both HC300s). Static also on the touchscreen. Dynamic on the other devices. No conflicts with IPs. Internet test? Not sure on that one but another problem has been inability to hit the controller via web. Some days OK, some days not.

Everytime I do a reload of a project some of the art goes bye-bye. Other things happen too that amount to corruption of the project when I reload. Mostly LED peculiarities.

^^Yes, a few days ago in an effort to get over this. Switches (including one POE switch in the rack and one at a remote HC300/iPod dock), DSL router, Linksys router that distributes to everyroom plus the rack HC300 all got power-cycled. I wish my dealer would wave his wand over this...

I get nervous hearing everything is on static - as if there is a mistake - it's compounded all about.

So double check AGAIN: Netmasks on each device are 255.255.255.0. Default Gateway on each device should be the same .1 address. DNS on each should be the same as well. Remember - tiny things as one number being off will cause this.

What version of OS are you running? 1.6? 1.7? 1.7.1? There were issues back a year + ago that were a known bug - but long have been fixed - so make sure you're up to speed.

If all of this proves good - then telnet into each device - and ping a known Internet address from each (like www.yahoo.com) and make sure it works from each.

Archived