C4 Forums | Control4

Am I reading this correctly? Can the HC-250 interpret IR signals from a basic IR programmable remote?

I am a brand new user of a Control4 system. I am trying to find more information about how to set up/customize my system. My installer gave me the basic rundown, but doesn't seem all that eager to explain the intricacies of the system - which of course I am interested in.

I am referencing a document I found here, a technical bulletin about utilizing the IR input capabilities of Control4 with a programmable remote:

https://forums.control4.com/forceddownload.aspx?file=0;7520

It states "With 1.3, Control4 now opens up the interface of the Control4 system to non-Control4 interface devices. There are many programmable remotes on the market that provide a variety of different capabilities. These capabilities can now be utilized and integrated with the capabilities provided by the Control4 system for an even more powerful solution than either provided on their own. The way this works is that the programmable remote is programmed to emit an IR code that the Control4 system receives as an event. You can then use Composer to create any programming script you'd like based on that event."

My control4 system was set up to run 4 audio zones and also to run a lower level TV/surround sound setup. I am mostly interested in using the system for the 4 audio zones, and less for the TV/surround sound at the moment. I know it is probably frowned upon around here, but my family (read: WIFE) has become super accustomed to using our Harmony Ultimate remote, which can blast IR signals from the Hub. I'd like to experiment with continued use of this remote system if possible. Please bear with me as I learn!!

Can I integrate my Harmony Ultimate remote to interface with the HC-250 by setting up "events" after the controller receives input from the Harmony remote? Am I reading that tech bulletin correctly?

I am working on getting access to the composer home edition via my dealer, so I would appreciate if you have any insight or helpful hints to put me on the path to enlightenment!

I very much appreciate your help and enjoy reading about all of the wonderful ideas and projects I have come across in my first few weeks of research!

1) That document is from 2006.

2) The IR blaster reciever part of Control4 went the way of the arc with the HC250.  The HC300 had that functionality.

3) IR requires line of sight.  The SR250 is Zigbee and does not even need to be in the same room.  

I forget when I pick up little people remote controls that you have to point many of them at the TV to make them work.  How quaint.

Thanks.

I do understand that document is quite old. We "little people" only get to learn by reading as much as we can :-) I hope I am not being disruptive asking basic questions.

I do also have an SR250 remote, but again - my dealer is not all that interested in helping me figure out how to use it and integrate it with my current system. Its been several weeks worth of phone calls trying to get somebody to come out to my home since they first installed the system. I haven't been able to use it since a few days into the project, when the remote seemingly "stopped working." I am nearly positive that some combination of buttons I pushed likely resulted in the remote not working any longer - so now I sit with a system that doesn't work and I am trying to find out how to remedy the situation.

The harmony ultimate system is an RF system (not zigbee), that also does not need to be in the same room as the hardware it controls. My cable box, PC and receiver (all attached to the TV) reside in a utility room in a completely separate room.

As I mentioned in the OP, our harmony remote works really well at the moment and my family uses it without issue. I have it set up to run the home theater (TV, surround sound) and also the home theater computer attached to it. I use WMC with mediabrowser and occasionally XBMC on the HTPC and again, the harmony remote "just works." I've not found extensive documentation that leads me to believe I can make the SR250 remote work like what I have currently (especially controlling WMC/XBMC/Mediabrowser on the HTPC) - thus I am looking for a workaround.

Is there ANY way to convert IR or a different RF wavelength to a signal that can be received by the HC250?

Thanks again.

Adam, I'm confused by your post. A Control4 remote controls everything you mention but requires drivers and programming. Why did you buy Control4 if you aren't using it fully? Control4 makes all other remotes obsolete, it will not be controlled by a Harmony remote.

As far a tech goes, comparing a Harmony remote to Control4 is like comparing a calculator to a PC.  Find another dealer locally or remotely on this forum.  Give the Harmony to an enemy and never look back.  If your system is configured properly, I'm sure your wife will grow to love the C4 remote much better than the Harmony.  You will learn a lot more about C4's functionality from this forum than old tech documents.  Welcome to the forums and I hope your system grows and brings you great happiness and sometimes a little frustration. 

I second and third getting a remote dealer from these boards.  There are several that are far more help than your dud.

also has anyone told you about Composer HE?  It gives you a bit more control of your programming if you are into that sort of thing.

and finally just to hammer the point home.  Control 4 should be replacing your harmony.  Keep reading these forums and you'll come up to speed among other things. 

Good luck.

Archived