C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Things to/from Control4 Integration

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly... You do need to pair a ZigBee device with something. Should hue get kicked out because their ZigBee light has to pair with their controller?

I haven't had time, vacation, to test to see if SmartThings can see a control4 ZigBee device. But there should be no way for SmartThings or any other ZigBee controller to see another mesh due to security.

I assume I would have to have one of my ZigBee c4 devices leave the mesh, enter pairing mode and then see if SmartThings sees it. But will probably have to write a custom ZigBee driver in SmartThings for it.

Will play more when I get back this weekend.

Not exactly... You do need to pair a ZigBee device with something. Should hue get kicked out because their ZigBee light has to pair with their controller?

I haven't had time, vacation, to test to see if SmartThings can see a control4 ZigBee device. But there should be no way for SmartThings or any other ZigBee controller to see another mesh due to security.

I assume I would have to have one of my ZigBee c4 devices leave the mesh, enter pairing mode and then see if SmartThings sees it. But will probably have to write a custom ZigBee driver in SmartThings for it.

Will play more when I get back this weekend.

That would be very interesting indeed if possible. Great work on this stuff!!

Control4's zigbee device's utilise the standard Zigbee HA stack with an additional control4 specific cluster dedicated to things like identification, health status reporting and more.  At least thats what i've found.

Having said that though if someone wanted to write a driver that parsed control of control4 lighting and accepted an inbound connection from a 3rd party service.  That too would work.  I did this for a savant to control4 gateway driver i wrote a few years back that allows savant to control control4 lighting with feedback.

Well, not a good start for the 2nd kit order.  Amazon sent the wrong kit, missing half the pieces.  Now lets see how good customer support really is.  I want to play with it tomorrow but if I have to send the whole kit back and get the right kit then this will suck...

Oh well, at least I'm home and time to destroy a 1000 beyond recognition to release my illustration...

Jackal, if you would have read the thread, you would have seen that their support is actually active... I don't want to send it back, just get the other parts that are missing...

I have dealt with amazon at many different levels, this isn't about amazon. It's about smart things and their amazing customer service so far.

This will be a test, but one I am sure of a positive outcome, which might include shipping back to amazon if needed...

It was just a wrong sticker on a box, but the missing pieces are sold individually that smartthings could easily send to me separately.

Wow, customer support on a Saturday night.  Unfortunately they can't make the call, have to wait for someone higher to make the call.  Stupid mislabeled box from amazon slowing down my play time with this. I left my original kit in Wyoming at my dad's place.

I am impressed at their support, just seems stupid to have to send a kit, that literally ships in a white box with retail sku's in it back to get another white box with all the right sku's in it. 

How hard would it be for someone to just send me the missing 3 sku's and give me the go ahead to add this hub and get started? I don't need an extra presence sensor, an outlet switch and multi-sensor today, I can wait for those.  I just want to get the hub online and work on integrating control4 into it.

If I have to wait another week...  Oh well.  At least I have a 1000 to destroy.

Wonderful customer service, they even work weekends!  They are going to ship me the missing pieces and I can get started today on my project.

These guys have it figured out.  Now on to seeing if I can pair a C4 zigbee device with it :)

Wonderful customer service, they even work weekends!  They are going to ship me the missing pieces and I can get started today on my project.

These guys have it figured out.  Now on to seeing if I can pair a C4 zigbee device with it :)

I guess they actually realize who their customers are.... ;) Good luck! It will be very interesting.

Well, got the Card Access Sensor to pair with the Smart Things Hub. I can see all the zigbee hex code getting sent, but from here, I am lost.

Of course there is no documentation on Card Access commands, and the Control4 driver is encrypted so I can't easily hook it up.

But this is progress. I'm not an expert in Zigbee by any means, but this is very promising, just have to find out how to poll and communicate with the zigbee device and parse the polling responses.

Next I'll try a control4 keypad and see if I can get that to pair. That might be a much simplier control interface, on / off. I wonder if the double and triple taps register on the device or just controller side?

lol, Ryan, no problems.  I'm bummed out at the moment, no socket support so no unofficial API method to query Control4.  Now its down to writing a driver on Control4 to do this and push it on request.

Is there any future plans (that can be shared) to have an actual REST API via HTTP like every other modern system out there for Control4? Or even authentication to the current one?

lol, Ryan, no problems.  I'm bummed out at the moment, no socket support so no unofficial API method to query Control4.  Now its down to writing a driver on Control4 to do this and push it on request.

Is there any future plans (that can be shared) to have an actual REST API via HTTP like every other modern system out there for Control4? Or even authentication to the current one?

Control4 has serversockets wihch enables a developer to pretty much make any inbound tcp/ip connection he wants.  This includes restrful API's via HTTP.

Yeah, was hoping to use the c4soap api on port 5020 instead of writing my own HTTP API via a driver...  If you would be willing to talk about your past efforts, I'd love some pointers.  Sounds like you have already tackled this type of integration before...

Archived