C4 Forums | Control4

Very Strange Doorbell Problem

I have a very strange issue with my doorbell and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same or could offer a solution.

I have my doorbell hooked up to my C4 system. The button is hooked up to a contact and the bell is triggered by a relay. Both are either connected to my HC-800 or the IO Extender, can't remember which one but don't think it would make any difference. It has been hooked up for about a year and yes my button does NOT have a light. My doorbell works great when the weather is good, but when there is heavy rain or a just before, during or after a thunderstorm it goes crazy. It rings and rings and rings as if someone is standing outside in the rain pushing the button.

At first i thought that maybe water from the rain was getting into the button from around the edges and completing the circuit in the button so i put some clear caulking around it but that made no difference. I'm thinking there must be a high energy in the air or the moisture in the air that is somehow completing the circuit at the switch and causing the system to trigger. My button is as basic as they get with no light.

One time, when it wasn't even raining, there was a huge bolt of lightning that shot through the sky and my doorbell rang at that exact moment as well.

I'm at my wits end and almost ready to unhook it unless someone can offer some help. Is there maybe a way to adjust the sensitivity on the contact? I'm guessing thats a dumb question but can't hurt to ask.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yep. this is seen more often in areas with heavy thunder and less than great grounding in houses.

You'll need to either connect via an Elk doorbell unit, or go the hack way and instead of a direct connection, put a contact sensor near the doorbell coil, then when someone pushes it energizes the coil, closing the contact.

Some have had better luck using Card Access or Axxess contact sensors vs going direct to a controller.

It might be the lightning...last night 9 cars pulled in my driveway, yet no actual cars. Lightning was setting off my driveway sensor. Buried in the concrete too! Maybe try a doorbell button that requires a further push than others, or I use the axxess zigbee doorbell button. Battery powered, not very expensive and works really well.

Archived