C4 Forums | Control4

Which Network Switch? New Install

Hi everyone just putting together my new install hardware and am lost as far as how "high-end" of a switch I need

I will have a 4x4 video matrix, 3 video cameras, hc800, hc wmb and a handful of computers etc on my network

here is what I know I need

24 ports

PoE...

What else should be considered? I am guessing by the size of my project I dont need anything that does VLANs etc.

I have been looking at Cisco Catalyst 3750 24 port POE

I have the Cisco SG300 28 Port PoE Managed Switch

I have a video matrix, 2 IP cameras, an 800 and 250, 2 computers on the network, 4 touch screens, 2 SR 250 remotes, a Ubiquiti access point, and it all works fine and has been rock solid since install (10 months ago).

$509 new with free prime shipping on Amazon

so less than $600 but only a bit more than $350 and its new.

I am sure others will chime in.  I just know its working great for me, not saying there are not other alternatives.  It is what my dealer suggested, he comes from an IT background and was comfortable with the product so that is what we used.

Other than the cameras, I also have 3 touch screens that run PoE, the doorstation, etc.  It can add up depending on your needs and install.  I followed the buy once cry once mentality so I know I have some room for growth.  I have 2 cameras and I know I want to add a few more down the line as well.  Some other good suggestions here too.  Good luck!

I'm a huge supporter of the Ubiquiti product line - especially the AP's.

However, when it comes to a vanilla L2 or Light L3 non blocking switch I have to say the HP Procurve shines in my books.  The have some very great products at very attractive price points and they also come with a lifetime warranty with NBD advanced replacement.

For a specific model check out the 1810-24g

Archived