C4 Forums | Control4

long startup time and slow response time when up

Hi,

My system has 3 HC-300 controllers. Once every few weeks I need to reboot the controllers (main reasons are I need to rescan my media and composerME only works once after boot, and power failure from my not so trusted power company...). Boot time can take up to half an hour (for the whole system to be responsive, ssh and ping to controller work after a minute or two). This is very annoying. When the dealer installed the system and this was the situation he blamed it on the fact that my system is very complicated. Since then I've come to realize that he's not very professional and so I doubt that statement. He continues to offer me to upgrade to HC-250 but I refuse to work with him.

So to my question:

I'm attaching here a picture of what I see  in my composer ME screen. Under the stored section you can see multiple instances of my Drobo (a NAS device) as a DLNA /Fuppes server. Also you can see old devices (RoyNotePC and sanDisk USB). As I use my Drobo just a file server (and I have a Dune 101 TV to stream my dvds stored on the Drobo) I want to remove those from the Control4 project. This is mainly because I am a programmer and it bugs me to see redundant stuff. I also hope that it will help the controller wake up faster.

Can I do this as a end user? I don't see a "delete source" in my composer ME (2.5.3 version)... I don't hacking at some xml file if that's the way to go (after proper backup of course). If not is there a dealer here who can do this remotely? do I have a chance to make my system boot faster with this change ? I can give more data on my system if that will help,

thanks,

Dror

post-133338-0-43395300-1411022635_thumb.

Full system start-up time of 30 minutes on a 300 is not particularly surprising.

If there is no particular reason there should be so many instances of the Drobo showing, there may be a mm.db (media database file) issue. This could possibly be tied to your consistent reboot to edit media issue.

New controller would fix speed, won't help with any mm.db issues unless the sytem is built from scratch (as opposed to loading back-up).

Look up Neil on the Forums, he can at least rid you of the redundant stuff in short order.

msgreenf is correct.
The HC300 is now with 2.6 end of life as a controller and no longer supported. it is only supported as a navigator. 

Especially when it comes to media scanning, it can bog down the CPU quite a bit on the controller unless there is something already corrupt. Hopefully someone else has an idea for you to remove the redundant instances. 

No one ever likes to hear "Get a new unit" when trying to trouble shoot a problem, especially if you are a programmer and want to start messing around. 
In my opinion, it is going to cost you a lot more (base on what your time is worth) trying to hack apart things than it would to just upgrade to an HC800. I know C4 has some upgrade options available to consumers. I am not sure if your HC300 falls into this category but may be worth asking your dealer about it. 

In regards to what you have access to. My understanding is you don't have access to any of what you want to do. I think you might be hard pressed to find a dealer that is going to spend the time trying to hack things apart to speed it up also. Again, it could easily be more expensive than a new 800. I know there are some guys on the forum here that may be willing to take a look though. 

thank you all for your responses.

It seems to me that Control4 wasn't a good choice to start with. Since all that changed in the project since beginning was the amount of mp3/dvd I hold in my nas device, and you all agree that the HC300 is old.

About the corrupted mm.db. It is corrupted for sure. When I try to back up it fails in the media part (the project itself is backup OK). I read in the forums here (In a thread about how scan doesn't work and required a reboot ) how the erase the mm.db so the system will regenerate it -> didn't help... 

I've already contacted Neil and worked with him (upgrade to 2.5.3) - but since it didn't help and there where other problems I asked him to revert it back...

One last question: the ZigBee server is not the same as the Control4 master - is that what may cause the boot up time? It was done because the master Control4 unit is in the upper floor and the rest of the system (including the other 2 controllers are down stairs in the server racks) so the dealer wanted to easy the burden on the master controller.

Dror

Archived