C4 Forums | Control4

Jitter on Digital Media

Hi,

I'm, having a weird problem playing some digital media, and I am not sure where to turn with this.  Any help will be appreciated.

I have many mp3 files, all downloaded from the same source, the same way.  I am able to play all of the files on my PC without an issue. After C4 scans and they appear in my library on C4 some of the files are unlistenable.  That is, they will play, but with such a heavy jitter to them that they are completely unusable, and voices are not understandable.  I can play them without an issue on all other devices (PC, Stereo preamp via DLNA, AppleTV, and downloaded to Ipad/ipod), the only thing that seems to have this jitter sound is C4.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and why only on my C4 system, and nowhere else?  Redownloading the files would be VERY time consuming, so, before I try that, I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

MP3 is a container - so it's possible the codex used is not one C4 can handle.

As per C4:

Detail: We support MPEG-I layer 3 encoded MP3 files.

They can be encoded anywhere from 32 - 320 Kbits/sec with CBR (Constant Bit Rate) or VBR (Variable Bit Rate).

We do not support layer 2 or MPEG-II

Thanks for your reply.

If this were a codex c4 can't handle would I get any audio at all?  I have tried playing high res FLAC files that the c4 amp cant handle, but I get no sound at all then.  I have literally thousands of files, all from the same source,and almost all work fine.  I suppose it is possible that one or two may be encoded differently, but I wouldn't expect it, from a comercial operation.

I guess I'll have to try redownloading some of them, and maybe check with customer support at the source, and see if they know the details of how they were made.  (I'm not holding out much hope that their support staff will know much)

MP3 is a container - so it's possible the codex used is not one C4 can handle.

A lot of MP3's that are posted online have odd/non standard Kb/s ratings - if those ratings fall in the mentioned limits, it's possibly to still have them play, but with poor quality, breaks etc.

You could try converting them to MP3 with a set bitrate - there's plenty of batch converters out there able to do this (the whole library at once, if you have Windows 8 etc, there's even a free one inthe Windows store for free that I'm told does a good job.

Could you describe what you mean by jitter? I've seen weird sampling rates cause issues on my HC800 for playback. but nothing to do with codecs. I have a pretty large library of "underground" electronic music and it ranges all sorts of bitrates and i've never had issues, as long as standard sampling rates were used.

It's hard for me to describe.  I can hear the sound, and vaguely recognize what it is, it almost sounds like a reverb setting, only  to a rediculous degree.  On the tracks that have it, its barely recognizable.  

I  did follow up on c4guru's sugestion and tried to run it through an mp3 converter, with a fixed bitrate well within control4's specs.  I still have the same issue.

Could you describe what you mean by jitter? I've seen weird sampling rates cause issues on my HC800 for playback. but nothing to do with codecs. I have a pretty large library of "underground" electronic music and it ranges all sorts of bitrates and i've never had issues, as long as standard sampling rates were used.

Hi,

I'm, having a weird problem playing some digital media, and I am not sure where to turn with this.  Any help will be appreciated.

I have many mp3 files, all downloaded from the same source, the same way.  I am able to play all of the files on my PC without an issue. After C4 scans and they appear in my library on C4 some of the files are unlistenable.  That is, they will play, but with such a heavy jitter to them that they are completely unusable, and voices are not understandable.  I can play them without an issue on all other devices (PC, Stereo preamp via DLNA, AppleTV, and downloaded to Ipad/ipod), the only thing that seems to have this jitter sound is C4.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and why only on my C4 system, and nowhere else?  Redownloading the files would be VERY time consuming, so, before I try that, I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Are you using a digital amp or receiver to play the files from Control4?  Are the speaker settings correct?  Are you sure it's not setup for a center channel that you don't have?  If that's not the case, then I'm not sure what is wrong.

Take one "broken" file of yours and convert it to a c4 compatible flac file and test it. If the flac plays fine u can at least play your files without any loss if quality.

Troublwshiitimg.:

Load your file into mediainfo and post the results here.

Thanks for the reply blub.

I ran the file through MediaInfo, here are the results:

Audio
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Duration                                 : 31mn 52s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 21.9 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : LAME3.93

An update on this,

I spoke to tech support for the company I got this from.  He assured me all are recorded the same way, but, when I ran them through Mediainfo, they were not.  

I also had my installer over here on Friday.  He did not know what to make of this.  I am going to bring one of the files over to the store where I got c4 and see if it plays on there system.

Take one "broken" file of yours and convert it to a c4 compatible flac file and test it. If the flac plays fine u can at least play your files without any loss if quality.

Troublwshiitimg.:
Load your file into mediainfo and post the results here.

Hi,

Thanks

I wouldn't waste my time using C4 for music library management and playback: that's just me and my 2 cents

Limited file support being one of the reasons.

Sonos, or stream to the WMB or use other sources straight thru and/or re-routed using the C4 Audio analog Matrix would be my recommendation in the future.

There are dozens of threads on this here on C4forums:) 

Archived