C4 Forums | Control4

TV Source out of sync

Help please.

I've had a new Panasonic TV added to my system. (TH-55AX670Z)

There does not appear to be discrete IR codes to set the source???

So we have created two macros to move from AV-component in to HDMI1

the macros run something like this:

AV

delay 200ms

Down

delay 200ms

Down

delay 200ms

Down

delay 200ms

Enter

This works fine when switching between the sources But.

When I turn the TV on, it always runs the macro even if the TV is already at the correct source, causing it to be out of sync and requiring the panasonic remote to select the correct source.

How do we only run the macro when required, or are there other ways to handle this scenario?

Thanks

You could use a variable to keep track of what source your tv is already on, although i don't think you'll ever get rock solid results on this.  Do you have any discreets for tv input?  if so i'd start your macro by going to that input then adjust from there.  this is really not ideal though.

Can you do AV and then a number to go to the right source?

Alternatively you could have the off Macro go to a specific input before turning off

You could also play with the default input option that can be set for the TV using ComposerPro's System Design screen.

You could use a variable to keep track of what source your tv is already on, although i don't think you'll ever get rock solid results on this.  Do you have any discreets for tv input?  if so i'd start your macro by going to that input then adjust from there.  this is really not ideal though.

Thanks, yeah I was thinking about a variable to track but have not yet thought it through completely, 5 sources run through the component matrix into AV -component, while the Apple TV uses the HDMI1.  Might look into this further if no easier solution is found.

Can you do AV and then a number to go to the right source?

Alternatively you could have the off Macro go to a specific input before turning off

You could also play with the default input option that can be set for the TV using ComposerPro's System Design screen.

Interestingly the Panasonic driver I used for this TV has 'AV' followed by a number for it's macros. (could not find my TV model in the drivers list)

So I was hoping this would work with my TV, but when I use the TV remote to select the source, the only thing that worked was 'AV', then 'up' or 'down' arrows. Numbers did not force a selection. So I edited the macros.

Is there a way to prevent a macro running upon turning the TV on? - I am guessing the macro is run automatically based on the connection set up??

The system will 'push' the input selection at all times, because users may have changed it manually for instance.

What you CAN do is make all the input selections blank, and take over input switching manually in programming.

I find it difficult to believe the TV has no discrete input selection though - that doesn't sound very panasonic-like. Dunno if they source it out for New Zealand though.

pdf containing panasonic codes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8dhiu234om0gu4/Discrete-remote-control-codesProntoCCFformat.pdf?dl=0

May help, may be useless.

I may have another source also - I'll check.

I'd always send it back to the antenna input and write your macros from there. I have found that it's best there is no CEC control of any device associated with that television. When it turns on it may delay on how long it takes before it will accept an infared command while trying to sync any signals to Hdmi connected components.

I'd always send it back to the antenna input and write your macros from there. I have found that it's best there is no CEC control of any device associated with that television. When it turns on it may delay on how long it takes before it will accept an infared command while trying to sync any signals to Hdmi connected components.

That would require setting the source to the Antenna upon turning the tv off, as well as prior to changing source.

Why best no CEC control? - I have not looked into this yet. But only Apple TV 3 is connected via HDMI, which I beleive does not support CEC.

-Currently TV is set to delay 10 seconds after turning on before macros are run.

No CEC from ATV yet. I'm sure Apple in their infinite wisdom will have their own "smart" av control for that. I am pretty sure that it will issue whatever input macro it needs to go to upon powering up, so no need to issue it on power down. Your input macros would look like this

Numeric CH 03

Delay long enough for TV to switch to antenna 03

TV/Video (or input, whatever brings up input menu)

Toggle TV/video (input) button to correct video input (with delays between commands)

Sorry just re read that didn't mean to suggest a lower spec - just an earlier model - my ST50 is 2012 and Panasonic's I have purchased since then don't have discrete input selection just AV toggle. In Properties the default input I use is antenna (Freeview) and I have then edited the driver IR codes and inserted the ones from the ST50 for HDMI1, HDMI2 etc. this works perfectly and using the GUI (HDMI1) I can 'watch AppleTV' (HDMI2) or Freeview (antenna) without having to use any macros.

If it default to last, instead of tracking what it was at last, just have it go to a 'last' of your choice, easily done in the 'off' macro.

Not sure that will help.

It does not matter what source it is when I turn it off - When I turn TV on again, if I select the same source as when it turned off, it will always be out of sync.

If I turn it off while TV is on HDMI1.

When I select Apple TV, the macro AV;up;up;up;enter will run causing it to be on the wrong input source.

If I turn it off while TV is on Component.

When I select Mysky/DVD/Media/... the marcro AV;down;down;down;enter will run, again causing the wrong input.

The only way the current macros will work is if I actually select a different source to the one when the TV was last turned off.

So unless I am blinded by my own thoughts, which does happen :) then I will need to track the last source and only run a change of source macro when required.

This will mean removing the two macros linked to the HDMI and Component which auto run upon turning on the TV.

Archived