C4 Forums | Control4

How to tell if the internet is down?

Hi all, I have somewhat flaky phone lines in my semi-rural part of Auckland, NZ

I can expect my internet to be interrupted often enough for it to be annoying.

I have my morning wake up turn on internet radio, but if the internet is down, we get silence.

Is there a way for me to program:

....wake up activated....

IF <Internet is working>

select source internet radio in Master Bedroom

IF <Internet is not working>

select source tuner in Master Bedroom

Thanks.

You can also use the free chowmain ping driver. Our driver does a real ping rather than EV's connect to open port method (not a ping).

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/ping

I've read this before and not sure I understand. Their driver appears to be pinging an IP address. Even if it's not can you explain the advantage yours provides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read this before and not sure I understand. Their driver appears to be pinging an IP address. Even if it's not can you explain the advantage yours provides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a snippet of the Extra Vegetables Ping Driver Documentation

IntroductionThe Ping driver suite enables you to monitor any IP controlled device on your datanetwork. A ‘ping’ is a small command that is sent to an Ethernet device which thenreplies back to the sender. It is used to determine if a device exists and is ‘alive’.While we can't send a proper IGMP ping command through Control4, we emulate it byattempting to make a TCP connection to a device on a known port. This is a good wayof determining whether the device is alive and reachable, as TCP will fail with an error ifthere is a problem. We have used the word 'ping' through this document as a shorthandto make it easier to read.We use this concept with this driver to allow you to monitor any IP device on yournetwork. This could be anything from an IP camera, a media player or the internetmodem/router. If a reply is not received from the device a Control4 event is fired. Youcan use this event in many different ways. You could use it to reboot the device if it isconnected to a controllable relay, send your customer or yourself an email – anything youlike really.

The difference is our driver performs a real ping command.  This means that you do not have any prior understanding of the hostname or ip address you are pinging (ie you don't need to know that there is an open port on that device).  You can just ping google.com or the ip address (or hostname) of your router, etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is there an equivalent way of 'pinging' a SR-250 remote? To the best of my knowledge, the remote does not have an IP address (unlike the controller or a touch screen). I'm having intermittent issues with the SR-250 where it becomes unresponsive (with no 'Waiting' message on the screen), and I was wondering if there's a way to check whether its 'alive' on the Zigbee mesh.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is there an equivalent way of 'pinging' a SR-250 remote? To the best of my knowledge, the remote does not have an IP address (unlike the controller or a touch screen). I'm having intermittent issues with the SR-250 where it becomes unresponsive (with no 'Waiting' message on the screen), and I was wondering if there's a way to check whether its 'alive' on the Zigbee mesh.

I wont bother with pinging or equivalent. You have gaps in your zigbee coverage. A detective suite can find that gap or try adding stationary zigbee devices nearby. Outlet switches/dimmers are good for these

Archived