C4 Forums | Control4

2 displays 1 Room

ECS

Hello hoping someone can help me with this. I have a room with one television and one projector both are connected to an 8 x 8 HDMI matrix. I want to control both from the same room i.e. theater room. I want to be able to press watch and then pick from the menu TV projector or TV led and other sources named accordingly.. My installer says this is not possible. Currently it is set up that I have to change the room on the remote control to control the projector. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure this is possible.  A few months ago I was in a Best Buy and swung by the Magnolia center to check out the C4 stuff.  They had a similar setup: an HDMI matrix, a TV, and Project in one room.  They were able to use a custom button on the navigator (and the Red custom button on the remote) to toggle between viewing the TV and the Projector.  So If the TV was on, pressing the red button made the TV turn off and the projector roll down and switch to the same source as the TV was on.  Pressing the red button again made the projector turn off and roll back up, and the TV was switched to whatever source the projector was one.  It just worked :-)  

Using a custom button is one method. I have also set up duplicate devices and when selected would use the projector or tv accordingly. Like Direct Tv , DirectV Projector DVD TV, DVD Projector, and so forth. This way its clear which one is in use and your guest that may not know about the secret button can still use the system. However this can be time consuming to program. and may give you a lot of sources to choose from

That's exactly what I want to do but my dealer says it can not be done because each Room can only have 1 video endpoint. I suggested using the matrix as the endpoint. How do you get it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Programatically it can be done though it is not elegant.  As discussed it has to do with end points.  You pretty you set the end point to be one step back in the signal path and program the macro manually for the projector / tv switching on various events such as room power on/off custom button press, remote button press (eg red projector, blue tv), etc.  I usually use a boolean variable to switch between the two.

Archived