C4 Forums | Control4

Changing Icons

oldtex

Is there a way to change the icons on the OSD for the devices? Wether using the driver editor or something else?One that especially gets me is blurays have a dvd icon!

I would like to change TV to a netflix Icon (I know I need to find my own icon) but how would I pop them in?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

No, there is a 'semi-hack' made by theoryav.com on their blog page that gives you some ability to do so.

Since 2.6 a nre driver format was created that DOES allow you to load custom icons into the actual driver, but the proxies currently in place do not accept them (yet - hoping this changes sooner rather than later), with the exception of the already updated media services.

Ahh ok too bad.

THanks for your insight.

Ultimately was looking to create some dummy devices for example a netflix 'device' and a plex 'device' that when hit sends command to roku to start an app. 

Would look much better with better icons :P

you could still create some dummy items for those functions and suggest you do my customers love it! I have only had one customer ask why they all said dvd, told them it was limited and they were cool with it. However it would be nice if control4 would get a fresh set of proxies in there or at least something we could edit like the album art, this would be best.

Generally i just put in generic drivers, and then on video selection however this means creating video connections. this can get more complicated dependent on how it is all connected, but several ways to do that as well. This works extremely well for smartv's as the commands are put into the tv driver itself so it follows all normal timers and delays of the tv driver.

if XXX is selected

Fire XXX command to YYY device

Select YYY device as the video source.

Generally i just put in generic drivers, and then on video selection however this means creating video connections. this can get more complicated dependent on how it is all connected, but several ways to do that as well. This works extremely well for smartv's as the commands are put into the tv driver itself so it follows all normal timers and delays of the tv driver.

if XXX is selected

Fire XXX command to YYY device

Select YYY device as the video source.

Ok maybe i am dense but where do I find if xxx is selected.. the rest makes perfect sense. But on the left side there doesnt seem to be that option for the room or the device.. is it somewhere else I am just missing?

click on the room in questions and go to conditionals.

you will have options for Is or is not audio or video device

THanks found it. Although looks like it will not work if I add multiple Roku drivers. Is there a way to bind multiple devices to the same connection. Say three cable boxes all on hdmi 2 or whatever? If I am able to do that seems I could make it work.

Images are now part of the proxy. Each device type has a proxy that is used to program again. The proxy serves as middle layer been UI and code. That is how the UI is consistent between different devices of the same class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different way of putting it:

Three layers

Driver - Proxy - UI

The drivers CAN now be updated to do their own icons using the new driver format used in 2.6 and up. This change is extensive in some ways, because it means NEW drivers created in this format cannot be used in previous versions.

This is why it doesn't get done all the time.

The UI is just the screen that displays things based on the proxy, with minor differences based on the device (remote, iOS app, Android app, Tscreens, onscreen - this is all put a bit simplified of course)

This would need some minor updates - but is likely not what is the hold-up

The proxy (limiting myself to the function in question) determines what buttons are to be shown, what browsing capabilities need to be availbe and what image file to use for the icons etc - this is per device TYPE. ie there is a proxy for DVD, there is one for Sat boxes, there is one for cable boxes, there is one for ipod stule devices, one for receivers, one for TVs, one for.....you get the idea.

Without a proxy change, the UI can't be updated overly much. This part is far more integral and changes here force more things down the chain. It also has potential user case issues - see some of the issues people are having with thermostat control using 2.7 apps on 2.6 systems - and that change was in development for quite some time - well before 2.6 was released, possibly before 2.6 went into internal beta.

The t-stat and media service proxies are already updated, which is why you can have Sirius, deezer, spotify etc icons for those services now, but for other devices that new proxy is not in place.

The function that IS in drivers about additional icons for other devices cannot yet be 'read' by the proxy, to send to the UI. So proxy needs updating before the UI can show it.

Thanks for the explination Cy, however it is 2015 and the fact that we cant have a BluRay icon blows my mind!

I can even change the incons and get reliable channel info with a Harmony Remote! I would think C4 would be at least able to keep up with the times.

Archived