C4 Forums | Control4

Best practice for Zone 2 Audio

Hi all!

I am slowly migrating from URC Total Control to Control4. I recently bought a HC250 and a SR250 to test my equipment first before I buy the rest of the stuff.

While I wait for the HC250 to arrive, I already started to program the system. Thankfully I was able to find IP drivers for practically everything.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish for the Zone2:

I would like to extract the audio from my matrix output 2, that goes to the Patio TV, and connect to AUDIO 1 on the Yamaha RX-A820. I already have the HDMI audio extractor in place. I also want to connect a Sonos Connect to AUDIO 2 for Main and Zone 2.

So basically, I want the "AUDIO 1" input to be dedicated to the ZONE 2 Video devices audio.

In Total Control was easy: I would just add an "Zone 2 AUDIO 1" command on every macro and Punch Through the Zone2 volume to all devices (Tivo, Apple TV, Roku etc). It worked flawlessly.

What is the best way to accomplish this setup in Control4?

I am very sorry if I am not being very clear. English is not my first language.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you!!

you would need to make the connections within composer showing the audio path. 

this can be done a few ways. 

Composer always take best connection available even if the device cannot route audio in that fashion.

some will generally create two receivers for main zone and one for zone 2. and bind all the connections separately.

there is no driver i am aware of other than the c4 matrix that strips audio so you can just make the connections from each device to the yamaha or the sonos i think you wanted in composer even though in the real  world they are not. 

be careful with the audio though to many connections may cause a delay and you will have lip sync issues

Thanks for your reply.

If I drag, for example, Tivo to Audio 1, I am not able to drag any other source to that input.

Unless I add 5 receivers to a room, one for each source.

There has to be a better way.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I am not able to make it work. Could you guys take a look at my file and educate me on what to do? I appreciate any help.

Basically, I have 2 Yamaha Receivers: RX-A820 IP and a RX-V665 IR. They are both capable of zone 2 audio. 

All my gear is located in the rack and the video devices are being distributed by a 8x8 matrix. I want to dedicate Zone 2 Audio 1 to be the sound of my zone 2 video devices, but it does not work. It does not change inputs. Not even for Sonos Audio 2.

Example Yamaha RX-A820 + Matrix:

In Living room: Tivo - Yamaha Main zone HDMI 1

In Living room: Apple TV - Yamaha Main zone HDMI 1

In Living room: Roku - Yamaha Main zone HDMI 1

In Living room: Sonos - Yamaha Main Zone AUDIO 2

Patio: Tivo 1 - HDMI Audio Extractor - Fake Audio Switch - Yamaha Zone 2 AUDIO 1

Patio: Apple TV - HDMI Audio Extractor - Fake Audio Switch - Yamaha Zone 2 AUDIO 1

Patio: Roku - HDMI Audio Extractor - Fake Audio Switch - Yamaha Zone 2 AUDIO 1

Patio: Sonos - Audio 2

etc...

Here is my file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgncevk00kvss7l/Mallom%20Coelho%20Test%201.c4p?dl=0

I am not done messing with the programming, but I need to get this part going first before I do anything else. 

Could you guys help me?

Thank you

Thanks for your reply.

If I drag, for example, Tivo to Audio 1, I am not able to drag any other source to that input.

Unless I add 5 receivers to a room, one for each source.

There has to be a better way.

Thank you!

How are your devices physically connected? Why are you trying to fake having 5 devices going to one input?

How are your devices physically connected? Why are you trying to fake having 5 devices going to one input?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes! That is what I was trying to say. 

I am extracting the Audio from the HDMI that goes to the Patio TV. So, basically the Matrix will be doing all the switching. I just want the Amp to stay in Zone 2 AUDIO 1 when using the TV and Switch to Zone 2 AUDIO 2 when using Sonos.

That is all I want.

I appreciate your help! :)

So, I have this same setup with 8x8 switch. the switch will only output same audio  on all outputs, so to get Dolby to the receiver,  I lose audio to the tv that can not downmix the audio to 2 ch..

Now  I have analog 8x6 multiroom audio.. input 1 TiVo, input 2- analog input from switch( using hdmi audio extracter from 8x8 HDMI output 8) input 3- tuner(zone 2 output from rec.) etc..

In programming I have

when master bed> video changes

if master bed video= media center PC

>Set multiroom audio output 2(mnaster bed ) to input 2 ( hdmi audio extractoer input)

hope this helps!  If someone has a better suggest I would love to here other ideas...

Thanks

sorry cart before the horse..

make the connection from the devices TiVo, apple tv, etc. to the HDMI switch... then connected output from switch to the HT rec..

connect audio extractor to audio 1

sonos audio 2

then go to programming, select room that you want zone 2 to play the source ie. patio

add more one if statements for more than one device.

if master bed video= tivo

>Set yamaha audio  zone2 output(patio) to input audio1 ( hdmi audio extractoer input)

if master bed video= appletv

>Set yamaha audio  zone2 output(patio) to input audio1 ( hdmi audio extractoer input)

if master bed video= roku

Thank you for your reply.

Yes! That is what I was trying to say. 

I am extracting the Audio from the HDMI that goes to the Patio TV. So, basically the Matrix will be doing all the switching. I just want the Amp to stay in Zone 2 AUDIO 1 when using the TV and Switch to Zone 2 AUDIO 2 when using Sonos.

That is all I want.

I appreciate your help! :)

You didn't answer my question. So I don't have any clue what you are trying to say.

How are your devices PHYSICALLY connected?

Here is the diagram:

Tivo 1 - Matrix Input 1

Tivo 2 - Matrix Input 2

Apple TV - Matrix Input 3

Roku - Matrix Input 4

HTPC - Matrix Input 5

Sonos - Yamaha RX-A820 AUDIO 2

Living Room:

Matrix Out 1 - Yamaha RX-A820 HDMI 1

Yamaha RX-A820 Hdmi Out - Living room TV HDMI 1

Patio (Zone 2):

Matrix Out 2 - (HDMI Audio Extractor) - Patio TV HDMI 1

HDMI Extractor - Yamaha RX-A820 AUDIO 1 (for Zone 2 Audio)

Got it working, guys!

All I did was send a command ZONE 2 Audio 1 every time I select a Video source on that room. I should have done this way in the first place.

Now I just need to figure out WHY IN GODS NAME spotify stops streaming after playing for 5 seconds.

Thank you all for your help!!

Archived