C4 Forums | Control4

IR & IP Driver for Same Device

Just curious why are you needing this?  most receivers you have to turn network standby on within the receiver for IP commands to work when the receiver is off.  Is that the issue you're having?

I have an older Onkyo receiver that I'm thinking about integrating.  Oddly enough I can seem to control it via the network connection however it won't power on using that method if turned off from the power button on the receiver.  Network standby is enabled but doesn't seem to be working correctly.  So I was trying to think of a work around that would work every time.  

Hi

Yes it can be done.  We did it with my old Netgear EVA8150 where some IP commands where not working right especially for my macro to change from SD to HD resolution and vice versa.

You need to make an IR driver, connect the IR emitter and the make the commands available vie custom buttons. you cannot "merge" the drivers / commands within the GUI of C4.

In your case i.e.:

when video / audio source changes:

if video / audio source is - mydeviceIP

then emit -> mydeviceIR "on"

and if room powers off -> if mydeviceIR is "on" -> then -> emit mydeviceIR "off"

something like that...

I have an older Onkyo receiver that I'm thinking about integrating.  Oddly enough I can seem to control it via the network connection however it won't power on using that method if turned off from the power button on the receiver.  Network standby is enabled but doesn't seem to be working correctly.  So I was trying to think of a work around that would work every time.  

Things to check:

Network stb on

static IP

There is an Onkyo app for iOS / android - if your device is supported try it. If power On works it has to work with C4.

Also remember Onkyo AVR has to be "on" quite some time otherwise IP power won't work - so if you pull the plug, plug it back in IP PWR won't work for ages ! ( I have an Onkyo 3010)

Hi

Yes it can be done.  We did it with my old Netgear EVA8150 where some IP commands where not working right especially for my macro to change from SD to HD resolution and vice versa.

You need to make an IR driver, connect the IR emitter and the make the commands available vie custom buttons. you cannot "merge" the drivers / commands within the GUI of C4.

Which is not the same thing as a single driver doing IP and IR at the same time.

In your case i.e.:

when video / audio source changes:

if video / audio source is - mydeviceIP

then emit -> mydeviceIR "on"

and if room powers off -> if mydeviceIR is "on" -> then -> emit mydeviceIR "off"

something like that...

Which is a repeat of what I said also ;)

If power On works it has to work with C4

If only it was that simple. The driver may be faulty, or not a complete match 9for example NA version vs EU version) - or something is just messed up somehow (I'm dealing with 3 brand new Pioneer VSX80's and a brand new official driver that will do everything EXCEPT power on the receivers from standby right now).

Things to check:

Network stb on

static IP

There is an Onkyo app for iOS / android - if your device is supported try it. If power On works it has to work with C4.

Also remember Onkyo AVR has to be "on" quite some time otherwise IP power won't work - so if you pull the plug, plug it back in IP PWR won't work for ages ! ( I have an Onkyo 3010)

Network stand by is on and it has a static IP address.

And actually that's how I was testing it. Once it's on the app will control it. However it will not power it on from being completely off. So I'm suspecting the C4 may have the same issue and was looking for alternative solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only it was that simple. The driver may be faulty, or not a complete match 9for example NA version vs EU version) - or something is just messed up somehow (I'm dealing with 3 brand new Pioneer VSX80's and a brand new official driver that will do everything EXCEPT power on the receivers from standby right now).

It's funny you mention this as I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 and it seems if it isn't used for several days then it won't turn on over IP either. Manually power it on and it's fine. It's not that big of a deal with this receiver as is its out in the open and I was going to hide the Onkyo. What solution are you using for the Pioneers?

It's funny you mention this as I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 and it seems if it isn't used for several days then it won't turn on over IP either. Manually power it on and it's fine. It's not that big of a deal with this recover is its out in the open and I was going to hide the Onkyo. What solution are you using for the Pioneers?

THAT one might have been fixed with a recent driver update actually.

What I did until I can figure it out for these Pioneers was add a seconds instance for each one, connect it IP and do exactly what I already told you (though I think I did it on room power-change, IF room is on - not the device itself) - program to have the virtual driver send to IR ON code (they're discreet) when the device (the actual IP driver is still the 'true' driver for connections etc) turns on.

• 3 weeks later...

I use an IP driver for Kaleidescape in several systems and a piggyback IR driver to utilize several commands I need that aren't in the IP driver.  You just need to add the commands in programming.

I do the same thing with my Onkyo AVR serial driver - I like the control of several of the IR commands for certain things so I add a second IR driver to the project with only an IR connection and just put the commands in programming to do what I want.

I use an IP driver for Kaleidescape in several systems and a piggyback IR driver to utilize several commands I need that aren't in the IP driver. You just need to add the commands in programming.

I do the same thing with my Onkyo AVR serial driver - I like the control of several of the IR commands for certain things so I add a second IR driver to the project with only an IR connection and just put the commands in programming to do what I want.

What other commands do you use on KS?

I have an older Onkyo receiver that I'm thinking about integrating. Oddly enough I can seem to control it via the network connection however it won't power on using that method if turned off from the power button on the receiver. Network standby is enabled but doesn't seem to be working correctly. So I was trying to think of a work around that would work every time.

I have 3 Onkyo network receivers in my house, TX-NR 709, 717, and 3030. I had similar problems where two of them wouldn't go on if they were in standby. Once they were on, IP control would work fine. After a while, one stopped working with IP control completely and one would work only after several attempts of unplugging and trying to reengage the network card. I ending up finding out Onkyo had issues with their network cards over a several year period, basically from when they first started making network receivers through about 2.5 years ago.

I sent both in, they replaced the network card, and now I have no issues at all with IP control on any of them. This was only a few months back and the repair program was still going on. I'm guessing it's still available, you just need to look around on their web site for the details. You fill out a form online, they send you a box with paid postage, you pack it up, send it in, they fix it, and send back with no cost to you at all. It's about 7-10 day turn around once you send it out.

I'm just guessing that this is your issue, as it sounds similar to what was going on with mine, and it only got worse after a while.

Things to check:

Network stb on

static IP

See above post. Yours might have the same issue. Network should be available very quickly after it restarts. I think that model was made if 2012 (even if bought after), which falls under the same network card issue.

See above post. Yours might have the same issue. Network should be available very quickly after it restarts. I think that model was made if 2012 (even if bought after), which falls under the same network card issue.

It is a 2012 model. I actually just got it back not long ago from Onkyo as the HDMI had to be worked on. It was covered under some program however when they received it they said the power supply was also bad so I had to pay an additional $75 to have that fixed. If I have to send it back in I might just give up on it.

Archived