C4 Forums | Control4

Best large LCD TV's for Control4 Integration?

orrinc

Does anyone have current recommendations for the best 37"+ LCD's for use with C4 systems?

They need to have:

1. discrete on/off IR commands

2. discrete input commands

3. ability to turn off On-Screen display when inputs change

I'm testing a system with a Philips/Magnavox tv, and it's making me crazy! I have to run elaborate macros to power on and/or change inputs, and every time the "4" button is pressed, the TV goes nuts for about 10 seconds, then the C4 screen shows up, covered by an OSD from the TV AND the OSD from the Denon 4308CI, and until they all go away, it's hard to use the C4 system at all.

I think it's possible to get the HC-500 to track the current input, so it doesn't change it every time, but I haven't gotten that far yet in programming . . .

It would also be nice to find TV's with external IR inputs in the back, and one that turns on very quickly, but I'll settle for at least the first three above.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a more comprehensive list of which brands and models work the best (and which beside Philips/Magnavox are the worst)?

Can we start a thread on this subject- it's really hard to tell what will work without actually hooking up the system, so we will all benefit from sharing our best and worst experiences!

I'm finding that the choices of TV's and some source equipment make the biggest differences between a fabulous system and a dog!

Thanks!

Orrin

• 2 weeks later...

local CI??? I AM the local CI!

C4 Tech Support won't tell me what TV's the new release will have drivers for, the ones in the current local and online databases are nearly all obsolete models, and many of the sets in the current database are using macros for power on, power off, and input select, which basically makes the C4 system suck!

Especially Philips/Magnavox TV's, which REALLY suck in a C4 system!

RemoteCentral is one source, but it's not very well organized to show which models have discrete commands.

Most of the product manuals are of no help either

This would be very useful data to share on this forum . . .

Anyone???

Sorry orrin, didn't know you were the CI!!

LG, NEC, Pioneer, Sharp, Runco, Panasonic

Those are the only TV's that I use and can verify have discrete commands. Most if not all older drivers will work for the newer TV products. They don't typically change codes with newer versions.

Hope this helps.

Sony, LG, and Runco are about all that we deal in right now. Been using serial on the LG's lately and it has worked flawlessy, but I've never had a problem with the IR drivers either.

• 6 months later...

Whatever you do, do not use a Panasonic TH-37PD25. Ive had a problem viewing the Navigator which is fixed to 720p on the component input. It is screwed up and unviewable and I finaly got Panasonic to fess up that it will not display 720p unless some BG board is updated on the tv curcuitry. Who'dve thunk it.

samsung

The only problem with Samsung is that your only control option is IR. No RS-232or Ethernet control.

and the only problem with all the others is they dont look as good :)

I agree. I really like the picture on my LN52A650. I just wish Samsung would allow control over the Ethernet port. How in the world do you design a TV with an Ethernet port and not allow control of the TV via that port.

I haven't looked at Sammy's in a while but do you really think that it is better than the Sharp's?????

IMO, the last I looked, Sharp blew the pants off of Sammy. Putting aside the fact that LCD blows for black level, what does the Sammy do better than the Sharps. Also, which Sharps are you talking about??

• 5 months later...

My Panasonic 50PZ800U does not have discrete input or power. That wasnt a huge issue for me, because it's only on one input and it's either on or off. PQ was important for me when I bought it, it was the next best thing to the Kuro at a fraction of the cost.

My Panasonic 50PZ800U does not have discrete input or power. That wasnt a huge issue for me, because it's only on one input and it's either on or off. PQ was important for me when I bought it, it was the next best thing to the Kuro at a fraction of the cost.

Ditto

Got the 50PZ850U for $1498.....nic pic!

Archived