C4 Forums | Control4

HC-250 multi-room

Hello,

I just got an HC-250 put in for my family room. Right now it is controlling 4 inputs (2 directv, Apple TV, kodi) routed into a Denon 4100w which outputs 2 video zones and 1 audio zone. The receiver has 4 tv's receiving the 2 zones which are controlled by IR from the HC-250. The patio is the audio zone. I would like to split one of my HDMI outs from the Denon and run it into my HT receiver (20ft run) which can be IP controlled. There is an XBox one hooked to the HT received that I would like controlled. Also, I would like to add my bedroom IP controlled TV and box (understanding that I would not get the Denon distribution). Does this sound reasonable? I am going to talk to my dealer, but I wanted to learn some first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant afford to do a proper distribution right now, but I'm trying to simplify my A/V as much as possible.

You might want to consider a 4x4 hdmi matrix and possibly a few z2ir adapters for the TVs. Will streamline the video distribution and enable the TV control in multiple zones

I am going to save up for an 8x8, but it's probably going to be a year or two before I can swing it.

Devices are less of an issue - it's the TYPE of drivers, timers and other programming items that will eventually push the limits.

But some things to consider:

In general I wouldn't go over 50 zigbee devices on a single HC250 (I think 75 is the suggested max) when initially spec'ing a system.

Using audio out (TuneIn) on a controller, and more so the Onscreen Display eat up a good chunk of power.

All of the above don't begin to push the 250 though.

Drivers can use up quite some 'power' like Mockupancy, MyMovies Collection Management, Sonos and other drivers that constantly poll for data from a third party device on the internet.

If you're using lots of timers that (can) run simultaneously that can eventually bog the system down.

Lots of IP camera's, especially while viewing.

There really isnt a true hard-set limit, though ROUGHLY I'd say a 250 can run a 4x4 video PLUS an 8x8 audio PLUS up to 50 zigbee devices with a touchscreen or two (and of course the associated sources and TVs) without too much grief. If you're pushing that you may see some benefit of using an 800

• 2 weeks later...

Archived