C4 Forums | Control4

New Install - Composer Unable to locate HC500 on Netgear FS116P Switch

I just purchased a control4 system and am working with a new dealer to get it installed. The dealer's second installation.

I have a pretty simple set up.

HC500

8 Zone Amp

2 ethernet POE mini touches

2 Remotes

Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router

~~~

Other components not related to network

Key Digital 4x2 Video Switcher

Composer is unable locate HC500 on network.

Set up is as follows Time Warner Cable Motorola Modem > Netgear FS116P Unmanaged switch > HC500. Laptop with installers composer Software is attached directly to Netgear Switch

Netgear is also connected to 24 port patch panel that connects to the Belkin Wireless Router.

For obvious reason I dont have the Composer software, so my troubleshooting is limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RDM

I rearranged the wireless router and switch. I am now connected like this:

Modem > Belkin Wireless Router > Netgear POE Switch > C4 Equipment, computers, network printers, etc.

I am now able to see the HC500 from the Router and connect to the IP that was assigned by the Wireless Router DHCP. I can see the folder structure of the HC controller at least.... and access them from any computer on my network wired or wirelessly.

A step in the right direction at least.

Would appreciate any feedback on whether this will cause problems I am unaware of.

RDM

• 2 weeks later...

I would replace the router with something differant. I used to have the same unit and I had to reboot it every other day because it would lock the network and drop wireless. Also make sure the installer sets everything up static.

good luck

Luis A.

There recommendations are a little dated. Here is what their whitepaper says.

Routers

Linksys WRVS4400N V1.00.16 Yes SSID may not be broadcast until after a firmware flash is

completed.

Apple Airport Extreme A1143 7.2.1

D-Link DIR-655 Do not use the WiFi Access Point on this router with

Control4 equipment.

WiFi Access Points

Apple Airport

Extreme A1143 7.2.1 - Make sure DHCP is disabled if used strictly as an

Access Point.

NETGEAR WPN802 1.0.6.0 o

Linksys WAP4400N

POE

D-LINK DES-1316

Now there are a lot more. We sell the Peplink and Hotbrick routers to our customers. So my setup is.

Router: PePLink Balance 30

AP- Airport Extreme

PoE Switches DES-1228P

Bryan

Here's the latest list ;)

Router's:

1. Linksys WRVS4400n (Update firmware) Highly recommended

2. Linksys: RVS4000

3. Linksys: RVL200

4. Apple: Airport Extreme

5. Netgear: WNDR3300 (Recommended for 1 or 2 zone systems) (Wifi doesn’t work with b devices V1 MTS, V1 10.5’s)

6. Netgear: WPN824 v2 (Recommended for 1 or 2 zone systems)

Removed: Dlink: DIR655 (with the access point disabled) (Current firmware doesn’t work with dual transport devices: tuner, amp, switch)

Access Point's:

1. 3Com: 7760 Highly recommended

2. Linksys: WAP4400N

3. Netgear: WPN802 (recommended for small systems)

Important to note - that the Linksys WRVS4400N is also approved for the ACCESS POINTS list - it's just not listed twice... but it's also a WAP - so it's good for both duties (and is approved for both!).

dang im using an old school wrt54g and a wap54g in bridge mode and running and htc and wap off that! Looks like ive got 11 wireless devices and 9 wired and never had a router related issue. (that i didnt cause) Good old version 3 linksys... (B4 they went 8mb to 2mb...)

With all the c4 gear being b or g why spend 180 bucks on a n router? I guess if your laptop transfers huge arse files or somthing, or if your whole house is wireless... but i never quite understood the overpriced n router thing for control 4 gear installs. For that price you could get a router and wap and run it in repeater mode and have even more coverage than a n router with 57 gigantic anntennas all over it.

call me old school i guess. but firmware on the new routers just aint what it used to be.

I use an N router with gigabit. Just easier to transfer music from my laptop to my NAS drive. Nothing really to do with C4 (besides getting my music there faster I guess) but it'll be nice in the future when more things switch to n/gigabit. I can't wait for a gigabit Slingbox to hit the shelves.

Hehe, since we're going off topic... The maximum I have ever got my slingbox to do over my home network is about 6mbps. That's connected to a Netgear WRN3500, and my laptop has a netgear WN511T card in it running a 300mbps connection. Whether they go gigabit or not, or whether it's necessary or not, I'd just like to see something faster than 6mbps on my home network.

i wish control4 would to go GB too. At least the media controllers anyway... I think GB NAS drives are sorta winning out in the install arena cause of the flexability and size. I see more hc300's with nas then i do the big boys. also just the fact that with nas you can still have itunes or whatever use it as its library.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Here's the latest list ;)

Router's:

1. Linksys WRVS4400n (Update firmware) Highly recommended

2. Linksys: RVS4000

3. Linksys: RVL200

4. Apple: Airport Extreme

5. Netgear: WNDR3300 (Recommended for 1 or 2 zone systems) (Wifi doesn’t work with b devices V1 MTS, V1 10.5’s)

6. Netgear: WPN824 v2 (Recommended for 1 or 2 zone systems)

Removed: Dlink: DIR655 (with the access point disabled) (Current firmware doesn’t work with dual transport devices: tuner, amp, switch)

Access Point's:

1. 3Com: 7760 Highly recommended

2. Linksys: WAP4400N

3. Netgear: WPN802 (recommended for small systems)

It's been a year since this post. Is there an updated list?

Thanks!

same list - except the Linksys WRVS4400n is now most often Version 2, it comes with .09 firmware out of the box and works fine (there are no firmware updates at this time and V1 firmware does not work in V2 units)

and the linksys RV042 reportably work perfect with latest firmware - some say best router they have used

Archived