C4 Forums | Control4

My Movies Driver

Anybody wants try the CoverMe driver Can mail me on prakash@dtiautomation.com

I will provide a trial version.

Check out reviews at

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/coverme

Is there any benefit in using this over MyMovies and the Collection Management driver given that I have already purchased MyMovies and MyMovies also provides the meta data straight to the Dune for those who want to bypass the C4 user interface?

A LOT of people do actually.

And yes of course streaming devices can be integrated, the problem is that you're asking to have the content on those streaming devices visible. This would mean integrating not only the device (see new Roku Driver allowing direct selection of channels) but also the service you may just want to have on there. The problem there is less C4's ability as it is the fact that AppleTV, let alone the service IN the AppleTV does not have any API to work with to SEND that information (see Chowmain's latest update to KODI as an example of what CAN be done in C4)

The only real way that I can thing C4 could do this is by having their controllers stream these services direct which would give them direct access to the contents.

That has it's own pitfalls though, such as what services to choose, international copyright laws and content differences and the every present constant changes in these services (ie Shomi is starting to eat away at Netflix now - should they choose that or Netflix - how a bout a year from now) as well as what standards to use (1080p, 4k, 3D?). On top of that C4 has a (good!) habit of supporting their controllers for a LONG time indeed - so they'd have to somehow do this in a way that continues to work for the next 5-10 years....

A separate C4 media player for video streaming services? Perhaps, but how would they be able to develop, and maintain, that as well for a limited market. Or make is stand-alone operable for mass-market - and compete with Apple, Google/Android and Roku?

I'd love to see the offering myself - but it's a complex situation.

Would be best if manufacturers of these device would open up their platforms and cooperate with the CI/Automation providers - but I can't see that happening either.

If anyone finds a device which has a protocol to access netflix, hulu or any other streaming service API let me know and i'll intergrate it

Archived