C4 Forums | Control4

My Movies Driver

No, no

The My Movies driver you see replaces/enhances the C4 movie library - it i NOT associated with MyMovies ot the collection driver.

Basically the 'old' Movies , Channels, Music have been replaced with media service proxy drivers (big step into possible improvements beyond the new interface)

Just wondering if I am doing the best possible thing. I have a synology NAS that I used to stream to popboxes. It works great but I have to manually add the movies into the C4 database. Is this currently the best way to do this or is there an easier/automated way.

thanks

That's a very arguable point. I prefer manual - because I'm not satisfied with any of the services for coverart. let alone genre.

That said there are EASIER ways of doing it and still get good results - There's MyMovies integration using a driver from C4, and there's a CoverMe driver as well (or will soon be) - plus Chowmain's excellent options for Kodi and Plex (which likely would take the most setup for you at this point).

So the question really becomes - do you (indeed) want easy or not. And if you do - then yes there sure are easier ways.

I've found the worst thing is the original database, after that it's adding a few movies at a time so not that much trouble. Then again - and a small warning here for everyone - I'm looking at redoing all the coverart manually now to make use of the new high-res artwork. :wacko:

I am fairly new to C4, and am still trying to figure out the purpose and use of the new C4 my movies driver. How does it work and what hardware is needed to take advantage of it? Is there documentation that could steer me in the right direction? I've search KB but no dice.

Right now the purpose is to make the look and feel of movies more up to date. Big graphics. Less text.

Others on here indicate a major reengineering not just a re skin. So next having tv shows and home movies ala plex and other management software is likely on the road map.

The inbuilt driver some curation a player e.g. Dune or popcorn and a server get you a cover art driven movie dukebox for your owned movie collection.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

If I was wanting to integrate a media server into Control 4 with the latest OS, what would your recommendation be. I have a Plex Media server with about 20 movies (hoping to get about 100+ more) once I get more time,  Would I go with the Chowmain Plex Server driver, or is it worthwhile to take the plunge into Kodi with a Raspberry or Intel NUC hardware platform to be located in my rack (and of course Chowmain's reputable Kodi) drivers.  Could use the insight into end user experience with the latest Control 4 2.8 OS Movie upgrade.

I love the new My Movies driver... A much better UI.

However, I have 2 questions that I hope someone can give me input on:

1. My Movies appears fine on the OSD, Touchscreens and the remote. BUT it is not appearing (nor are the channels) on my iOS app (also updated to 2.8). Help! This will drive me crazy as I often use my iPad as a remote for choosing movies.

2. I use collection management to integrate with MyMovies (the program). This means Control4 does not do scans. The artwork when one chooses a movie is not great. How do I improve the images? I see one can rescan if one is using control4 natively to improve the image quality but I am not sure what to do with the Collection Management driver?

Thanks!

1 ?IT should - have you re-synched?

2 The collection management driver has a rebuilt database option that will re-scan your artwork as well. Provided that the MyMovies source program has better artwork resolution in it - you should get better artwork in the C4 interface.

Do not know if this option is available in HE in some way I'm afraid - it for sure is in Pro

am I missing something here? I've added in the My Movies, updated my nas drivers to point to the new folders and under Media scanned. The new "my music" cover art appears, and is found in the navigators. The movie cover art and info scan's, but it never appears on any of my "watch" options. I've updated the devices and doubled checked it wasn't hidden, but it's not showing up? Any suggestions?

I've got a Dune in the theater, and roku's in 2 other rooms, so I'm trying to establish if something else is needed. For example, with the my music connection it's linked to digital media. But for connections for movies, there are no connections to make?

The Roku's won't do a thing or starters.

updated my nas drivers to point to the new folders

What new folders? There shouldn't BE any new folders due to the driver.

Indeed you shouldn't even need to add any drivers at all.

Couple of general things. Control4's My Movies driver introduced in 2.8 is NOT MyMovies the database program

Did you resynch/update navigators?

And yes, I have refreshed the navigator, that didn't come through clear I assume when I said I "updated the devices". It seems I have to have the C4 my movies driver in each room. I typically configure general drivers for the rack room where my controller is racked...Ie new deezer, pandora, etc drivers. I installed a second driver in my master bedroom and now see the videos in only that room.

You don't need the driver in each room! You only need one copy in the project (which should have appeared automaticly when you updated to OS2.8).

I wonder if your visibility was turned off for some reason. You can check that (room by room) in the navigator tab for the room under watch. My Movies must be set to visible in all rooms... Mine was visible by default. You will then need to refresh navigators again.

Hope this helps... If not, call your dealer!

My, as the MyMovies/Collection manager uses it OWN 'virtual' folder even though there may be mulitple network locations - that situation is indeed no impossible.

Regardless you should nee only on MyMovies driver - I have 4 NFS drivers in my project - but only one My Movies driver.

More and more I sue it the more annoying the name of the 'My Movies driver from C4 becomes - the two things are NOT the same by any means - indeed they don't even do the same thing.

The My Movies driver handles showing the artwork (etc) on you C4 interface.

The Collection Manager driver handles loading the information from a My Movies server/computer into the database that the first driver uses to show that very info.

Indeed - the two still very much are to be used side by side.

I'd check the My Movies visibility per room, as well as the Collection manager's 'virtual' folder(s) in each room too (hiding that WILL hide the movies in it for that room).

I had this situation over the weekend myself.  I had MyMovies (Collection Management) hidden under the Watch heading.  Once I moved that option to show, Control4's My Movies option was automagically there.  I don't believe it received the high-res movie covers though.  I stopped tinkering after a while, but mean to redo my database to see if i can take advantage of the new resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone asked a great question earlier, is there anyway to integrate with Apple tv or other streaming device? As beautiful as the new ui is, who wants to buy the movies, upload to a server, and manage the collection. Seems very 2000ish, ala xbox media center!

Someone asked a great question earlier, is there anyway to integrate with Apple tv or other streaming device? As beautiful as the new ui is, who wants to buy the movies, upload to a server, and manage the collection. Seems very 2000ish, ala xbox media center!

A LOT of people do actually.

And yes of course streaming devices can be integrated, the problem is that you're asking to have the content on those streaming devices visible. This would mean integrating not only the device (see new Roku Driver allowing direct selection of channels) but also the service you may just want to have on there. The problem there is less C4's ability as it is the fact that AppleTV, let alone the service IN the AppleTV does not have any API to work with to SEND that information (see Chowmain's latest update to KODI as an example of what CAN be done in C4)

The only real way that I can thing C4 could do this is by having their controllers stream these services direct which would give them direct access to the contents.

That has it's own pitfalls though, such as what services to choose, international copyright laws and content differences and the every present constant changes in these services (ie Shomi is starting to eat away at Netflix now - should they choose that or Netflix - how a bout a year from now) as well as what standards to use (1080p, 4k, 3D?). On top of that C4 has a (good!) habit of supporting their controllers for a LONG time indeed - so they'd have to somehow do this in a way that continues to work for the next 5-10 years....

A separate C4 media player for video streaming services? Perhaps, but how would they be able to develop, and maintain, that as well for a limited market. Or make is stand-alone operable for mass-market - and compete with Apple, Google/Android and Roku?

I'd love to see the offering myself - but it's a complex situation.

Would be best if manufacturers of these device would open up their platforms and cooperate with the CI/Automation providers - but I can't see that happening either.

Archived