C4 Forums | Control4

Help with Audio zones Selection

Good Evening.

I am currently programming a home with the following audio zones, and AV devices:

1. Cinema: a Home Cinema that contains a 5.1 system, and a screen & Projector that receives Video from several sources. An A/V and Control Rack is located here. The devices in the cinema are the following:
  • Sources: AppleTV, DirecTV, Samsung Blu-ray BD-ES6000, Kaleidescape Cinema One, Sonos Connect
  • Processors: HC800 (director), Yamaha receiver RX-A1040, Leaf Video Matrix LXP64, 3 Leaf HDBaseT adapter LTTX, Control4 8-zone amplifier
  • Outputs: Epson Projector (connected to the LEAF via HDBaseT), 5.1 sound system.
  1. Bar: a TV, an HC250, an appleTV, a Leaf receiver LTRX from the Cinema, and 4 loudspeakers
  2. Pool: a TV, an HC250, an appleTV. a Leaf receiver LTRX from the Cinema, and 4 loudspeakers
  3. Garden: 6 Loudspeakers

Here is the system's desired behavior:

• Any Video source can be played inside the home Cinema (Video: Projector THROUGH Leaf Video Matrix, Audio: 5.1 THROUGH Yamaha Receiver)
  • Any Video source can be played in the bar and the pool INDEPENDENTLY and SIMULTANEOUSLY (Video: TV HDMI input THROUGH Leaf Video Matrix (Zone 2 & 3) & HDBaseT Transmitters, Audio: 4 stereo Speakers THROUGH Control4 8-zone Amplifier)
  • Any audio source can be played in the bar, pool, cinema and garden INDEPENDENTLY and SIMULTANEOUSLY (stereo Speakers THROUGH Control4 8-zone Amplifier)

Here are the connections:

• Samsung BDP  ----HDMI---> Yamaha Receiver
  • ATV, DirectV, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----HDMI---> Leaf video Matrix zone1 --Cat6--> CINEMA Projector
  • ATV, Directv, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----HDMI---> Leaf video Matrix zone2 --Cat6--> BAR TV Input
  • ATV, Directv, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----HDMI---> Leaf video Matrix zone3 --Cat6--> POOL TV input
  • ATV, Directv, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----RCA---> C4 8-zone amp zone1 & 2 ----> 4 Speakers in BAR
  • ATV, Directv, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----RCA---> C4 8-zone amp zone3 & 4 ----> 4 Speakers in POOL
  • ATV, Directv, Yamaha out, Kaleidescape and HC800 ----RCA---> C4 8-zone amp zone5,6 & 7 -> 6 Speakers in GARDEN
  • ATV ----------Optic----------> Yamaha Receiver ----> 5.1 system
  • Directv ------Dig Coax------> Yamaha Receiver ----> 5.1 Sysem
  • kaleidescape --Dig Coax--> Yamaha Receiver ----> 5.1 Sysem
  • HC800 ------RCA------------> Yamaha Receiver ----> 5.1 System

Here are the Problems:

• When trying to play a video source in the Bar (for example), the selected source's audio plays through the Yamaha receiver (inside the Cinema), instead of playing through the according speakers.
  • c4 8-zone amp does not distribute audio as desired. when selecting a video or audio source from the bar, the audio does not play in the 4 speakers (the input connections are right for every source). sometimes the 8-zone amp doesn't respond to any manual instructions sent from Composer
  • I cannot find a driver for the bar & pool TVs (SKYVUE NXG-6550 and NXG-6570). Any suggestions on what to do about this to control the TVs?

I want to be able to watch (& listen) a source in the cinema, another source in the bar and another one in the pool without affecting each other (like accidentaly changing the audio source in the 5.1, as is currently happening). perhaps it has something to do with the dual audio connection settings? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You need to get that Yamaha out of the loop - it's not a good idea to feed a receiver into a video switch and audio switch.

It's what's playing havoc on your system right now with incorrect conversion assumptions and poor pathing.

If you want that bluray available elsewhere, get either a DAC or an hdmi audio extractor to strip stereo and feed it to the LEAF, then feed the LEAF into the YAMAHA (and drop all the extra audio connections to it) from one of it's HDMI outs and the projector via HDBaseT

^ or get another BD player. Likely the same price as the audio stripper.

But before you do think how often this use case exists. My BD is rarely used these days with streaming being how most media is watched.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

This looks like it would take a separate balun set though (projector being fed from video switch). Also, unless you can find an old BD player - you'll still need it (no stereo outs on them). If that appleTV si distributed, you'll need one there too

You need to get that Yamaha out of the loop - it's not a good idea to feed a receiver into a video switch and audio switch.

It's what's playing havoc on your system right now with incorrect conversion assumptions and poor pathing.

If you want that bluray available elsewhere, get either a DAC or an hdmi audio extractor to strip stereo and feed it to the LEAF, then feed the LEAF into the YAMAHA (and drop all the extra audio connections to it) from one of it's HDMI outs and the projector via HDBaseT

Well, this certainly did the trick. i disconnected all the "dual" outputs going from all the sources to the yamaha and C4-16amp and simply used the yamaha to receive all the sources' audio outputs, and used the zone2 output as only one input to the C4-16amp. this allowed me to be able to play in the main cinema and the exterior areas independently. putting it more graphically:

Sources Audio ---RCA & Digital---> Yamaha Receiver  ---RCA(zone2)---> C4-16Amp Input1

Sources Audio ---RCA & Digital---> Yamaha Receiver  ---RCA(main)---> 5.1 speaker system

Sources Video ---HDMI---> Leaf Video Matrix --- any video endpoint

The only thing that could not be implemented with this configuration was to play the audio outside with different sources. But as it turns out, the bar, pool and garden are really close to each other, so different audio signals are really going to make noise, therefore it would be better if this option was not implemented.

Thanks a lot for all the help in figuring this out.

That only leaves me with the issue about the Skyvue outdoor TV. i have two TVs (Bar and Pool), and one HC250 for each TV. There doesn't seem to be any drivers available for control4. These TVs have DB9 ports for control interface. i found on the manual the Serial codes for the TV. what should i do?

Thanks

Archived