C4 Forums | Control4

New House With Control 4 Thermostat....Advice Needed

We are having a house built and will be using a Control 4 unit.  I need advice on a thermostat to use with a Rheem Prestige AC unit (see link below). What would you advise?  My wife and I both work from home. The house is 3253 sq. ft ranch if that matters.

http://www.rheem.com/product/heat-pumps-classic-plus-series-three-stage-rp17

Thank you for your help.

I would recommend either using the new control4 stat or an ecobee.  If you are building a new house with multi-zoning HVAC, I would recommend using many Control4 stats.  They should work great with Rheem units

Thanks y'all.  I am a little concerned about using a non-Rheem thermostat.  Will I be giving up any control or function by using a 3rd party t-stat? Will the HVAC company know how to use a 3rd party t-stat upon installation? Not installing multi-zone.

1 minute ago, planetbrian said:

Thanks y'all.  I am a little concerned about using a non-Rheem thermostat.  Will I be giving up any control or function by using a 3rd party t-stat? Will the HVAC company know how to use a 3rd party t-stat upon installation? Not installing multi-zone.

don't worry about not using a Rheem stat.  you won't give up anything.  All stats work on a common standards and get installed the same.  If you HVAC company can't install a 3rd party stat, then you need a different vendor.  

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

don't worry about not using a Rheem stat.  you won't give up anything.  All stats work on a common standards and get installed the same.  If you HVAC company can't install a 3rd party stat, then you need a different vendor.  

That is good to know. I was hoping to hear that as I would like to use something better than OEM.

40 minutes ago, planetbrian said:

What are the pro's and con's between Ecobee and C4? Which one do you like better and why?

I read where you can hide these t-stat's and just use a PC to adjust everything...true? advisable?

great question. hard to say which is best, it depends on you, but there are pro's and con's of each

Basic t-stat functions

• they are pretty much the same

Ecobee

• uses wifi
  • has remote temp sensors to allow for more thoughtful energy and occupancy control
  • Homekit integration
  • Requires control4 system to talk to ecobee cloud to control local temp
  • you can use the ecobee app or the control4 app

Control4

• uses zigbee
  • Can only be controlled via control4 app

19 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

great question. hard to say which is best, it depends on you, but there are pro's and con's of each

Basic t-stat functions

• they are pretty much the same

Ecobee

• uses wifi
  • has remote temp sensors to allow for more thoughtful energy and occupancy control
  • Homekit integration
  • Requires control4 system to talk to ecobee cloud to control local temp
  • you can use the ecobee app or the control4 app

Control4

• uses zigbee
  • Can only be controlled via control4 app

Great info....thanks. In a HVAC forum where i was asking a different question about the Rheem ac unit, I asked them if I could had to use the Rheem t-stat and a members response is below.  What do you think about his statement?

"You get a lot more control and error messages using the communicating thermostat than a 3rd party. The Econet has a lot of runtime data, error messages in English, 5 different fan only speed options, dehumidify on demand. I would use it. "

Just now, planetbrian said:

nGreat info....thanks. In a HVAC forum where i was asking a different question about the Rheem ac unit, I asked them if I could had to use the Rheem t-stat and a members response is below.  What do you think about his statement?

"You get a lot more control and error messages using the communicating thermostat than a 3rd party. The Econet has a lot of runtime data, error messages in English, 5 different fan only speed options, dehumidify on demand. I would use it. "

dont know about that unit, but you can 5 fan speeds and the dehumidfy with the ecobee and control4. 

DOnt know anything about the error messages and run time.

I'd recommend the C4 thermostats. I've found the most important thing is to have good integration.

The C4 thermostats work well, integrate well and have all the functionality you need and you can then program a lit against them

One big con is that even the latest series are ugly. If I was doing my installation over, I would hide the thermostats somewhere and  use the remote sensors. We never use the thermostat units themselves but rather we control everything from C4.

8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

C4 thermostat unless you NEED multiple and/or wireless remote sensors - then go Ecobee

Just remember that the remote sensors for Ecobee are only used by the Ecobee and cannot be used by C4.  A shame too, since they are also motion detectors.

I called Ecobee tech support and they told me that Ecobee will not be able to support variable speed.  As I am not an AC guy, some of what she said I did not understand.  I am concerned that I will lose some functionality of the Rheem Prestige AC with heat pump unit.

I called Ecobee tech support and they told me that Ecobee will not be able to support variable speed.  As I am not an AC guy, some of what she said I did not understand.  I am concerned that I will lose some functionality of the Rheem Prestige AC with heat pump unit.

I guess the decision is which is more important 5 fan speeds or integration. Only you can decide that.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Archived