C4 Forums | Control4

Light Switches

rafa1985

Question

9 answers to this question

I added the Wink driver. I have a Wink hub. I chose it because it handles Zigbee, Z-Wave, etc. I use the GE Z-wave switches ($40 at big box, Amazon, etc.) GE also makes the switches in Zigbee and Bluetooth. I chose these switches because they look like standard rocker switches. Important to my wife and me not to have eight different styles of switches in the house (which it literally had when we bought it.) I have heard that the Zigbee switches are auto-discovered by the hub. Haven't tried it yet. They offer, Fan control, Dimmer, Standard on/off, and Add-on. Use the Add-on with a regular switch to make a 3 way. Just like the C4, they all require a neutral wire -- in case your wiring is old.

I added the wink hub to Alexa, so I don't have to go through Control4. I have the option of just telling Alexa, "turn on the porch lights" or using C4, or using the Wink app... You can IFTT with it as well. (Porch lights come on when my wife enters the neighborhood after dark.) 

I'm not a C4 power user, so I don't know what lighting functionality I might be missing. But I'm assuming none. Off, On, Dim, is all in there. i can punch one button on my wand remote and the lights go off -- C4 and Z-wave. Hope this helps.

Edit: Anything you can add to the Wink hub becomes visible to C4 via the Wink driver. Hue bridge, etc.

15 hours ago, Elvis said:

I added the Wink driver. I have a Wink hub. I chose it because it handles Zigbee, Z-Wave, etc. I use the GE Z-wave switches ($40 at big box, Amazon, etc.) GE also makes the switches in Zigbee and Bluetooth. I chose these switches because they look like standard rocker switches. Important to my wife and me not to have eight different styles of switches in the house (which it literally had when we bought it.) I have heard that the Zigbee switches are auto-discovered by the hub. Haven't tried it yet. They offer, Fan control, Dimmer, Standard on/off, and Add-on. Use the Add-on with a regular switch to make a 3 way. Just like the C4, they all require a neutral wire -- in case your wiring is old.

I added the wink hub to Alexa, so I don't have to go through Control4. I have the option of just telling Alexa, "turn on the porch lights" or using C4, or using the Wink app... You can IFTT with it as well. (Porch lights come on when my wife enters the neighborhood after dark.) 

I'm not a C4 power user, so I don't know what lighting functionality I might be missing. But I'm assuming none. Off, On, Dim, is all in there. i can punch one button on my wand remote and the lights go off -- C4 and Z-wave. Hope this helps.

Edit: Anything you can add to the Wink hub becomes visible to C4 via the Wink driver. Hue bridge, etc.

The downside to third party lighting is that they don't strengthen the zigbee mesh like Control4 lighting and keypads do, which control4 uses for devices to communicate wirelessly - thermostats, remotes, door locks, some sensors, etc. So, if you don't use lighting, your dealers will have to make sure you use other devices to make up for the zigbee mesh.

15 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

So z-wave door locks will show up through wink? Have you had trouble with Wink and their cloud? I used to have a ton of problems. 

I do not personally own any. There are 7 or so advertised as Wink compatible at Home Depot.

I don't typically access anything via their cloud. I added it to Echo and that is my primary interface. As soon as she says "Okay" it happens. I'm assuming there is not trip to the Wink cloud required for this, as it happens so fast.

I know Wink robots are slow, but consistent. About 6 seconds from trigger to action. 

33 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I do not personally own any. There are 7 or so advertised as Wink compatible at Home Depot.

I don't typically access anything via their cloud. I added it to Echo and that is my primary interface. As soon as she says "Okay" it happens. I'm assuming there is not trip to the Wink cloud required for this, as it happens so fast.

I know Wink robots are slow, but consistent. About 6 seconds from trigger to action. 

wink via echo is via cloud...no?

Archived