C4 Forums | Control4

Add Room to Audio with Keypad

spjuenger

I'm trying to set a keypad button to turn on and add the kitchen to the audio that is playing in the great room of my house.  I have been success in setting the button to set the kitchen audio to a specific source such as the cable box, but I have not been able to "copy" what is playing in the great room.  Is this outside the realm of the "Home" edition?

It's tricky to figure out on your own, I'm not even sure if you can do it with HE. You find the "Digital Media" within that there is an option to add rooms to an existing zone. 

When button 1 is pressed...

-Add "Kitchen" to "Great Room"

Im away from my computer at the moment, I can come back with screenshots.

Oh my, lots of incomplete information. Not to mention a overly complex method.

There are two basic 'source' types in C4 - one being 'hard' sources (ie cable box, dvd player, sonos) others are 'soft' sources, such as the built-in TuneIn, Napster, Deezer as well as Shairbridge/Airplay and stored music.

To catch the 'hard' sources only, you'd program

WHEN {button is pressed}
SET kitchen CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE to greatroom CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE (you will find those under the room, break-out the + sign so you see ROM VARIABLES, then again to see those variables)

To catch the 'soft' sources only, you'd program

WHEN {button is pressed}
JOIN kitchen to great room session (THIS you'll find under 'Digital Media' - there is one such driver added to your system, it gets autoamatically added to the same room the very first controller is added to though, so it may take a bit of searching - once you selected it you'll see how to do what I said)

Neither catches the other - so it depends on what it is you're trying to catch.

You CAN do both - HOWEVER there is one 'but' in this. If you have sources connected to a controller's audio in, this breaks (because you're turning a 'hard' source into a 'soft' source) in certain situations. Just try to see if it works though.

WHEN {button is pressed}
IF great room CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS NOT digital media
-SET kitchen CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE to greatroom CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE (the - here means an indent, drage this line overtop of the ? symbol untill you see the arrow pointing to the right, and you'll see that it's shifted over to the right slightly)
-stop
JOIN kitchen to great room session

17 minutes ago, knowitall said:

it may be convoluted but it works every time. Had lots of issues with "joining session" and other sources, especially with CONNECTs in the project. 

More than one way to skin a cat

Walking around the whole city to get to your next door neighbour works too... ;)

Not to mention, it wouldn't catch TuneIn, or other native music.

Mostly clients. All they seem to want is Sirius and Spotify. Sonos' tune in has a lot more content than c4 I've found. And I'm not a huge fan of the Pandora interface from c4 - mainly the last stream immediately starting  and not having to explain Pandora 1 Pandora 2 etc  keep it simple  

end rant  

Shairbridge I do like. 

Mostly clients. All they seem to want is Sirius and Spotify. Sonos' tune in has a lot more content than c4 I've found. And I'm not a huge fan of the Pandora interface from c4 - mainly the last stream immediately starting  and not having to explain Pandora 1 Pandora 2 etc  keep it simple  

end rant  

Shairbridge I do like. 

Pandora 1 / 2.

You don't name them for rooms and hide the others from that room?

Pandora Sons Bedroom

Pandora daughter Bedroom

Pandora Master Bedroom

Etc

12 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Pandora 1 / 2.

You don't name them for rooms and hide the others from that room?

Pandora Sons Bedroom

Pandora daughter Bedroom

Pandora Master Bedroom

Etc

I'm wondering what you do with the Sonos then ? Named I assume indeed?

Pandora's auto start is unfortunate, but due to Pandora's demand - put the blame where it belongs.

Plus in the end, your method STILL wouldn't work with shairbridge....

Archived