C4 Forums | Control4

Come in AlanC Is there a 4K HDMI 2.0a HDCP2.2 OpenELEC Kodi box yet?

wappinghigh

^ Thanks for the great input and suggestions. HDR puts video playback onto the next level.... I'd like that. My ultimate (next) Kodi box is 4K with HDR.... that is my next benchmark for video distribution. Are we there yet? With appropriate Baluns and longish cat6 runs etc? nope. Not quite. But that is the next benchmark: 4K HDR around the place.... so I am not going to upgrade my Kodi box until it's 4K HDR capable.. cheers. 

Just for the info, Kodi is not able to output 10bit video, let alone HDR. The android box or whatever has that option but it's down to the player app to actually do it. Also what are your HDR sources now except BD HDR players. Even if you have video file with 10bit h265 and somehow HDR on it you won't be able to see it with Kodi.

For us as a C4 installers most important thing is stability, and today Android is not.

That is why we use Libreelec on Android device, with Alan's Kodi driver it's almost the best thing for media playback.

sent from my LG G2

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

And Atlona, and Leaf. Cat5E is risky though - I've seen it fail - then again it CAN work, as long as interference is limited, and lengths are not too long. On decent Cat6 - it's there for distribution. Now they just have to implement HDR all following the 'rules; ;)

Agreed, but the clients in these cases have 6-10 year old homes with cat5e as a prewire and weren't about to rip open a bunch of walls to retrofit so we do what we can. With limitations on HDBaseT products IE Leaf with EMI (turning on/off ceiling fans causing picture dropout) or 4k compatibility issues, J+P was our pick and it has worked great for us. Every project is different :)

21 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Of course it begs the question just how do they do that? Squash all that video definition and 4K HDR video "bandwidth" down a Cat5E wire!!! Is there some "witchery" going on or smoke a mirrors trick??? 

Same witchery and smoke and mirrors everyone uses - HDBaseT chipsets (Leaf, Atlona, Binary, Zektor, etc etc) are all made/licensed by Valens and they too squish a bunch of stuff down the cable - uncompressed video, audio, IR, RS232, ethernet, power to the balun, etc etc. You'll have to ask Valens how they manage to accomplish that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDBaseT

Note that due to bandwidth issues, currently HDBaseT supports 4k/30, but it is uncompressed. Also the typical max matrix size is 16x16.

Just Add Power does use a "visually lossless" proprietary encode/decode (hardware, I think) solution. The 1G stuff was based around JPEG2000 but I have no idea what the 2G/3G stuff uses, but it's for sure better in the later models with the improvements in tech available. With keeping the bandwidth lower and using different chipsets than Valens they too can do additional things like IR, RS232, USB, CEC, video scaling of 4K HDCP 2.2 down/up to 1080p and HDCP 1.4 to allow mixed displays, and dolby Atmos support.

9800... Netflix does HDR 4K already. There is YouTube. It's happening. So if Kodi ever runs any of these apps in the future or any others in 4K. In any case if one is going to go do the hours of trouble doing another Kodi openELEC box build, why not shoot for the best??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do share.. what is it.. where did you get it? etc etc etc

One cheap that i know of works is Nexbox A95X. With Libreelec even 24p and HD audio works. Price...some 30-50 usd depending is it 1/8 gb or 2/8 gb version.

Although our favorite is Minix U1, great support and community behind it.

On a side note, why are people reluctant to say what product are they using or have found ...?

sent from my LG G2

9800... Netflix does HDR 4K already. There is YouTube. It's happening. So if Kodi ever runs any of these apps in the future or any others in 4K. In any case if one is going to go do the hours of trouble doing another Kodi openELEC box build, why not shoot for the best??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodi will almost never run 4K YT or Netflix...Also a lot of Android boxes won't run 4K YT/Netflix courtesy of Google and Netflix. The devices need to be approved by them, like ShieldTV, Roku ...etc.

And i don't understand that comment about hours of trouble for Libreelec...it's installed in under 20 minutes on Minix box, Alan's driver included.

sent from my LG G2

3 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

Kodi will almost never run 4K YT or Netflix...Also a lot of Android boxes won't run 4K YT/Netflix courtesy of Google and Netflix. The devices need to be approved by them, like ShieldTV, Roku ...etc.

Well sure..... that's why you swap out to Linux :) 

"Never"?? we have millions of 4K endpoint TV's now out there hitting the market and  Kodi will "never" run 4K???? 

Yes, 4K YT and Netflix, not video files.

Also what does swapping Android for Linux has to do with 4K YT and Netflix from the post above?

sent from my LG G2

25 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

Yes, 4K YT and Netflix, not video files.

Also what does snapping Android for Linux has to do with 4K YT and Netflix from the post above?

sent from my LG G2

Don't know. Just thought you were implying it was Android that was locking down the 4K Netflix and YT that's all. Just mis interpreted what you were saying.. Anyway. I'm staying with Linux because of the stability and the spead of the Kodi solution here.. Droid just complicates this and I have droid over everything else. Sony Tv's etc..   also want a Kodi box with HDMI 2.0 so it plays nice with my HDMI 2.0 Marantz inbuilt matrix setup.. I would like to wind up with more HDMI 2.0 sources as the industry is obviously moving that way. And I need a simple HDMI 2.0 4K streamer to test my long Cat6a runs (they are 15 and 50 M)... so when these cool new 4K HDR baluns CYKnight is talking about (recently seen at CEDIA)  come out... And also test the "enhanced" inputs on the new 4K SonyTV... :)  Cheers..  

On 95% of Android boxed you can only get 480p in Netflix app. Not an Android issue but Netflix way of thinking.

Kodi runs stuff from addons. Netflix would have to make an official Kodi addon and that won't happen for sure. There is a YT addon that gets 1080p but no 4K for now.

sent from my LG G2

Archived