C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Access Points - what works and why?

StroTek LLC

What is everyone's preferred solution to Wireless Access ? and why?

I have used the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO with great success.

Pros:

• At $150 its hard to beat price wise
  • Wireless AC 

Cons:

• I dont like how you have to run their config app on a PC 24/7 to get handoff to work well between multiple WAPs. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, StroTek LLC said:

What is everyone's preferred solution to Wireless Access ? and why?

I have used the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO with great success.

Pros:

• At $150 its hard to beat price wise
  • Wireless AC 

Cons:

• I dont like how you have to run their config app on a PC 24/7 to get handoff to work well between multiple WAPs. 

In speaking with Unifi's tech support (which I've found to be very knowledgeable and easily accessible), the APPro does not have seemless handoff, you'd have to go to a higher model to get this.  I currently have 3 of the APPros and they do work well though I do sometimes just disconnect and reconnect if I'm connected to one in my upstairs vs. basement to get a stronger signal.

Are you doing something in the software to configure to get a better handoff?

On 10/17/2016 at 2:05 PM, drmark12pa said:

In speaking with Unifi's tech support (which I've found to be very knowledgeable and easily accessible), the APPro does not have seemless handoff, you'd have to go to a higher model to get this.  I currently have 3 of the APPros and they do work well though I do sometimes just disconnect and reconnect if I'm connected to one in my upstairs vs. basement to get a stronger signal.

Are you doing something in the software to configure to get a better handoff?

AC PRO? It works seamless for me running the cloudkey and seamless handoff enabled in the unifi controller software.

AC PRO? It works seamless for me running the cloudkey and seamless handoff enabled in the unifi controller software.

Thanks, this cloudkey and another pro sounds like the solution. I need for seamless hand-off through 4 layers of brick in congested NYC.

Hard to belive my PRO won't make it 70 feet in NYC!

10 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Thanks, this cloudkey and another pro sounds like the solution. I need for seamless hand-off through 4 layers of brick in congested NYC.

Hard to belive my PRO won't make it 70 feet in NYC!

A lot of options available with the unifi stuff.. band steering, site surveying, etc. You should be good after testing some stuff out.

10 hours ago, Bsmall423 said:

What is cloudkey?  I'm not familiar with that.  I did confirm with UniFi tech support the AP Pro does not support seamless handoff so you must be using something additionally.... Please let me know how to facilitate this

Archived