C4 Forums | Control4

Are IP cameras supposed to show up as being offline

AshMania

Hi all

I have tried this with Hikvision and Lilin cameras as well as the C4 DS2 door station - are the cameras supposed to show up as being offline in Composer?  They do work though, just the fact they show offline seems bothersome.

Also, having trouble seeing the DS2 camera feed within the navigator - I have T3 screens, so shouldn't need to provide the "alternate camera" view - right?

Thanks

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Mine also show as offline but have always worked...

I have T3s and V2s in my project and as far as I recall, I had to use the alternate camera... works fine on both T3s and V2s...

So we need to specify alternate camera on T3 screens as well?  I thought it was only needed for V2 screens...

Offline / Online are *only* indicating that the Control4 driver has / doesn't have a current socket-style connection to the camera.

One of the limitations of this is that devices that use an HTTP style connection will not show as online, or will only show as online while doing the HTTP connection, which is very limited.

There is currently no way for a driver to indicate to Director that the device is online/offline outside of the actual socket-style connection, and there's also no way for Director to know that Navigators are streaming video from the cameras.

TL;DR: Ignore online/offline for cameras or anything else that doesn't use a standard socket-style connection.

RyanE

17 hours ago, RyanE said:

Offline / Online are *only* indicating that the Control4 driver has / doesn't have a current socket-style connection to the camera.

One of the limitations of this is that devices that use an HTTP style connection will not show as online, or will only show as online while doing the HTTP connection, which is very limited.

There is currently no way for a driver to indicate to Director that the device is online/offline outside of the actual socket-style connection, and there's also no way for Director to know that Navigators are streaming video from the cameras.

TL;DR: Ignore online/offline for cameras or anything else that doesn't use a standard socket-style connection.

RyanE

Makes sense - would be great if more IoT devices supported websockets...

Anyways, in order to get it working on my T3 screens and iPhone, do I need to setup alternate camera views? or is that only for V2 screens?

Archived