C4 Forums | Control4

Updating HC500 to OS 2.9 ?

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

not sure where you come up with these assumptions

generic driver will work fine if the amp is 1)one and to correct input and 2) correct virtual connections in control4.

if you know what you are doing, this is basic stuff.

this isn't the thread to debate that

27 minutes ago, d1amund said:

If you're sure everything is configured correctly on the C4 side, then prove it...take a toner wand to the end of the analogue cable that goes to your vintage amp while you are playing audio from the controller to that zone...do you have audio? If yes, everything is setup correctly and your amp is to blame. If no, you don't have C4 configured properly.

If this vintage amp is just a basic dumb amp with no option for control then C4 need not know it exists.

3 hours ago, Rod Matthews said:

When you go to the room properties in the connections tab what are your audio end points and audio volume bindings set to for the room you want the audio out of the controller to play in?

To all who posted here.  I am grateful for your honest discussion of this, inspite of some back-n-forth.  It is heartening to see that things dont always do get to flames, inspite of some heat involved.  I am not here to troll, inspite of my opinions on user/dealer politics.  And of course, no is obliged to help me.

It also shows that this amp thing MAYBE can be done.  So I go back to figuring out the reasons.

@d1amund According to @msgreenf it would appear that the amp does NOT require a serial/IR contorl link connected to the amp.  That is a very critical to decide.  Since if that link is required, my amp is a non-starter.  It is certainly a dumb 1980s amp to begin with.  If this question is not answerable, I go nowhere.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, d1amund said:

It's simple...does the amp have IR, IP, serial or relay control? If no to the above, C4 doesn't need to know, or care, that it exists. Your end points are the upstream device.

The amp is devoid of any control link.  Its old. Really old, but the amp sounds so much better than some modern amps including my DTR80.3 on analog audio.

I have a Sony DVP-C777es on the Control4 that works great.  When I send the audio from the disc player directly out to the vintage amp, of course there is nice sound.  When I connect the disc changer to the HC500 audio in, then connect the HC500 audio out to the amp .  No audio.  So either the HC500 has problems, or I have a virtual problem.

7 minutes ago, PP SS said:

The amp is devoid of any control link.  Its old. Really old, but the amp sounds so much better than some modern amps including my DTR80.3 on analog audio.

it's fine, doesn't matter. you just always have to leave the AMP on and to the correct input (or manually turn it on - but that is so lame)

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

it's fine, doesn't matter. you just always have to leave the AMP on and to the correct input (or manually turn it on - but that is so lame)

I have a Sony DVP-C777es on the Control4 that works great.  When I send the audio from the disc player directly out to the vintage amp, of course there is nice sound.  When I connect the disc changer to the HC500 audio in, then connect the HC500 audio out to the amp .  No audio.  So either the HC500 has problems, or I have a virtual problem.

Just now, PP SS said:

likely a virtual problem....do you have a driver for the disc changer? do you have the correct virtual inputs and outputs? do you have the correct audio endpoints for the room? is the volume turned up on the controller audio output?

didnt feel like reading through everything so in case this was not answered

HC500 last update is 2.5.3 as a primary controller. it can get to 2.9 as a secondary

The hc500 has built in storage it does not need a usb for media, but can use it as extra

You must scan in all the media first using the media agent

STEPS FOR PRO ONLY

Then in the project the the controller must be connected with audio outputs to amplifer

if the amplifier is a dummy amp room connections to the room and controller for volume must be made

then refresh

then select media and vio la it plays!

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

didnt feel like reading through everything so in case this was not answered

HC500 last update is 2.5.3 as a primary controller. it can get to 2.9 as a secondary

The hc500 has built in storage it does not need a usb for media, but can use it as extra

You must scan in all the media first using the media agent

STEPS FOR PRO ONLY

Then in the project the the controller must be connected with audio outputs to amplifer

if the amplifier is a dummy amp room connections to the room and controller for volume must be made

then refresh

then select media and vio la it plays!

Thanks for the reply.

Screenshots for the curious:  see attached

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 1a.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 4.JPG

Capture 5.JPG

Capture 6.JPG

21 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

all looks good to me. i would rotate through the receivers inputs and make sure its not playing from another one the names may not match what the receiver has.

also how many hc500 outputs are connected?

HC500 has 2 analog outs used and all digital outs used.

I checked the physical connections behind too, and the audio from disc changer comes clean.  But when plugged into analog audio in/out via HC500 no sound.  Bad controller????

49 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

send a screen shot if you can. im think its sending the music out digital first

I am a little leary of posting a full screenshot. :mellow:

I connected the component video out to a new TV screen.  It just shows a box with IP and Lan Mac address.  No interface/GUI, like on my touch screen.

EDIT: GOT IT !! Wrong connection. LOL!

knew it was a connections issue

well actually was it a physical real world connection issue or virtual

I  am going to check pure digitial connections again...........aaargh!! Then I will go back to this amp.

4 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

then still need to see a snap shot of all of your connections on the outputs of the hc500

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

so were we wrong all along?

Digital connections are dead also.  The HC500 does not want to input or output digital audio.  Does it support Dolby-DTS, or Digital PCM? There is no info on this for the HC500.

So this is why sometimes I go insane with this!

OK. Since this one is used controller I am trying to set up separately, I am willing to buy a new license/software for this, so that I can start fresh.  Any of you guys can help? What is it going to cost me?

It's not a licensing issue

I'm almost positive something is not bound properly. Or the units audio is toast

Thanks, Matt, for sticking with this !  Much appreciated, and God bless !

Yeah, the audio is toast ..with eggs and bacon !! Both analog and digital produce no sound.  

However, that 4 inputs to go at the same time may be impossible coincidence............so I will take your binding suggestion.  Or the system  a "mute audio" somewhere, and the it needs to be turned on.  But I can find where that mute is.  

OK. am attaching full screenshots of the HC500 - the receiver page goes into 2 pages.  I am now connected with my Integra DTR-80.3 for troubleshooting.  My other controller is not shown.  Also, as can be seen the USB Drive has been scanned and tagged quite nicely - so the controls part work, except putting out audio.

Capture 7.JPG

Capture 8.JPG

Receiver page 1.JPG

Receiver page 2.JPG

USB Media Storage.JPG

15 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

You only have audio out 1 bound which means only output1 will output music. Try connecting1 to a know working input and then try to stream some music

Sorry.  I did not get your second part.  

1.  I figured that that would be the point to activate only outputs as needed. I have only output 1 connected to my amp, and there is no sound.  Do I have this right?

2.   Playing audio through my disc changer into HC500 "audio in 1" and then outputing from HC500 "audio out 1" = no audio.

3.  The part where you say only "Output 1" is active, I do not fully understand - "Output 1" goes to my receiver aux input, so that should cover it for now.??

On 12/30/2016 at 1:11 AM, PP SS said:

But nope, no sound there.  Why?  I can assure you the virtual connections are all correct

You can assure me of anything you want, that doesn't mean you're correct.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:11 AM, PP SS said:

Clearly, this Is not so slap-dash easy steps as made out to be by the posts here

Yet you claim this is so easy it shouldn't be locked to dealers.

Could be 500 is dead, wouldn't be the first one to have the audio chip die.

That receiver - is that the old amp you're trying to use, or is that the 80.3 receiver you meant.....

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You can assure me of anything you want, that doesn't mean you're correct.

Yet you claim this is so easy it shouldn't be locked to dealers.

Could be 500 is dead, wouldn't be the first one to have the audio chip die.

That receiver - is that the old amp you're trying to use, or is that the 80.3 receiver you meant.....

Did you even look at the screen shots I posted??!! Geez!  Where do you guys come from...

If you had followed the thread without attitude, like Matt Lowe was kind enough to do, you would know that I switched out amps for troubleshooting.

And like I said before, the stupid setup is not that difficult as my scree shots show, and I already came to the possibility that the hardware was dead.

And, I was sold this by another dealer for cheap who told me It was working. ..except that I never had audio from the very first day, that I naively blamed on my lack of knowledge,  when in my heart it felt that I understood the basic software. Dealers selling hardware they obviously know is faulty does not help either.  

That was my experience with Escient (you heard of them?), another tight-fisted company, and so It Is with Control4.  Pure --- singularly pure --- money making mindset, customers be dammed. 

I have a nice doorstop, for all my troubles.

Archived