C4 Forums | Control4

It's out!!!! Control UI for the iPhone/iPod

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! This seriously may put me over the hump to get an iphone. Stupid question, but not being an iphone user, I do know the AT&T service is terrible at my house, does the app run via wifi when not on the 3g network and vice versa? Also I am used to running skyfire and as such I have to go through the hassle of logging in to mycontrol4.com, finding the page etc. With this app how does the login work? What steps do you need to go through to logon?

I can only assume it will work over wifi. I have it downloaded to my iPhone and it did recocognize the director just cannot connect to it. But we need 1.7 for this to work.

Trying to post some pics but having a little trouble.

apparently I'm blind, I can't find it on the link from the first post. I tried using apple's searh engine with no luck. If anyone can hold my hand and guide me to the right place I would appreciate it.

thanks

Worked for me..

License is not out yet though.. Patience..

... does the app run via wifi when not on the 3g network and vice versa?

Just runs on Wifi I believe. It would be AWESOME if it ran on 3g because that would mean you could control everything remotely.

Also I am used to running skyfire and as such I have to go through the hassle of logging in to mycontrol4.com, finding the page etc. With this app how does the login work? What steps do you need to go through to logon?

Basically - just hit the app button and that's it! Loads fast and seems snappy. Of course, it's not yet connected/associated to Director so we'll have to test again once we have 1.7.

... does the app run via wifi when not on the 3g network and vice versa?

Just runs on Wifi I believe. It would be AWESOME if it ran on 3g because that would mean you could control everything remotely.

Also I am used to running skyfire and as such I have to go through the hassle of logging in to mycontrol4.com' date=' finding the page etc. With this app how does the login work? What steps do you need to go through to logon?[/quote']

Basically - just hit the app button and that's it! Loads fast and seems snappy. Of course, it's not yet connected/associated to Director so we'll have to test again once we have 1.7.

I guess I should be asking my dealer, but I am into immediate gratification here and this looks too cool. So assuming it is just wifi and not 3G and I got an ipod touch (just the excuse I need for my wife to upgrade my ipod :)), then I could access my system via wifi assuming my dealer upgraded me to 1.7. Now let's take it a step further, in that I should be able to access my system remotely then from anyplace that has wifi as my director has a unique address? Or would it only be on my home network?

It's only going to be on the home network. Also, keep in mind that the app is free from apple, but Control4 will almost certainly be requiring a subscription or license to use the itouch. They said between 100-1000, and the two most common rumors right now are either $300 or $699. We'll see here shortly

wow. c4 is going to charge me to use an ipod touch (that I purchase) with the free app (well nothing is free I guess).

It'd be a fair assumption that this app will replace a C4 control device in the particular room hence C4 has to recoup the loss of one such sale.

I'm taking a wait and see approach as to speed, reliability etc. Plus I have a BB storm to buy in the next few days, that'll keep me busy for a bit :-)

but Control4 will almost certainly be requiring a subscription or license to use the itouch. They said between 100-1000, and the two most common rumors right now are either $300 or $699. We'll see here shortly

Will this rumored subscription apply to the iPhone as well or just the itouch?

If anyone knows, or would like to speculate, I would love to know why control4 users potentially have to pay for a license to use the free iphone app. Wouldn't we be using our iphones with the free app to communicate with a control4 system that we've already paid for? Maybe the app is communicating via foresight which again, we've already paid for? Just curious if there's something I don't know about this iphone app.

thanks,

tum

PeterM1 - I wouldnt say this would replace the C4 app in a particular room.. because, at least with iPhones, you arent going to leave the device sitting in a room for anyone to use, which would be the point of having the C4 touchpanels. It would simply give you something you can keep in your pocket to use anytime, rather than having to locate a touchpanel or walk to a switch etc.

Its not completely unreasonable for them to charge to use this app, but the above mentioned rumors of $300 or $699 would be insane. $50-100 would be more reasonable, considering no hardware cost.

PeterM1 - I wouldnt say this would replace the C4 app in a particular room.. because, at least with iPhones, you arent going to leave the device sitting in a room for anyone to use, which would be the point of having the C4 touchpanels. It would simply give you something you can keep in your pocket to use anytime, rather than having to locate a touchpanel or walk to a switch etc.

Its not completely unreasonable for them to charge to use this app, but the above mentioned rumors of $300 or $699 would be insane. $50-100 would be more reasonable, considering no hardware cost.

I can see end-user frustration with those pricing levels, but from a business standpoint, control4 could stand to lose quite a bit of money on 3.8" sales with this app. At $600 a pop for ethernet MT's, that's a big chunk of change to lose. Although the pricing is high, i find that it makes sense why they're going to charge that much.

Interesting dilemma. From the client's side, they already own the equip and the app is free. From C4's side, someone made something that can access and control their equip... hmmmm

So I'm betting that within the new 1.7 software, there is a blocking script somewhere that will prevent the app from working without a subscription... hmmmm.

Gotta believe there is some serious wheeling and dealing going on right about now.

Edit: VERY COOL THO!

Archived