C4 Forums | Control4

Driver Documentation

prabeau

Question

Why is it that when selecting documentation for Driver that sometimes I get  

"Unable to load or locate: www/documentation.rtf" when I select highlighted option I get "unable to open file/lin/www/documentation.rtf"

Is there something faulty on my project? Is it my OS or is it that there is no documentation ?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I think that the problem lies in how C4 deals with documentation.  Please note that I may be wrong!  The following is my understanding.

The computer on which the driver is downloaded on will have the documentation.  Other computers won't (seems like a C4 issue as they should copy the documentation to the controller and then across to any other computers that access that director - my view).  The problem is that most drivers are downloaded on your dealers PC rather than yours.

The work around (I understand) is for your dealer to send you the documentation files and tell you where to save it... I seem to recall my dealer (sometimes) doing this...  I must be honest, I don't normally use the documentation tab but rather use PDFs that the dealer sends me. That said, I have two PCs (my laptop and a mac Mini that is online at home all the time) and I have virtually no driver documentation on the Mini but do have some on my laptop (two reasons I think: 1. My dealer has sometimes downloaded drivers to my laptop and then remoted in later to activate the key. 2. My dealer has sometimes emailed me files and instructions on where to save them!)

These are my observations based on experience rather than knowledge!

15 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I think that the problem lies in how C4 deals with documentation.  Please note that I may be wrong!  The following is my understanding.

The computer on which the driver is downloaded on will have the documentation.  Other computers won't (seems like a C4 issue as they should copy the documentation to the controller and then across to any other computers that access that director - my view).  The problem is that most drivers are downloaded on your dealers PC rather than yours.

The work around (I understand) is for your dealer to send you the documentation files and tell you where to save it... I seem to recall my dealer (sometimes) doing this...  I must be honest, I don't normally use the documentation tab but rather use PDFs that the dealer sends me. That said, I have two PCs (my laptop and a mac Mini that is online at home all the time) and I have virtually no driver documentation on the Mini but do have some on my laptop (two reasons I think: 1. My dealer has sometimes downloaded drivers to my laptop and then remoted in later to activate the key. 2. My dealer has sometimes emailed me files and instructions on where to save them!)

These are my observations based on experience rather than knowledge!

Thank you

That certainly explains it. I will just ask my dealer to send documentation I really don't need it integrated.

Simply put, the driver is set to point to a file on your computer, it's not stored on the controller (to save storage, as documentation can now include pictures etc). To see the documentation you must have an instance of the driver on your computer in composers default save folder (which is done automatically the first time you install the driver in a system).

6 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Simply put, the driver is set to point to a file on your computer, it's not stored on the controller (to save storage, as documentation can now include pictures etc). To see the documentation you must have an instance of the driver on your computer in composers default save folder (which is done automatically the first time you install the driver in a system).

OK thanks will request from dealer then

Archived