C4 Forums | Control4

New user doesn't want 4sight

Yile

4Sight was designed to be a more seamless solution than VPN, for accessing Control4 resources.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using a VPN instead of 4Sight.

The biggest change would be you typically would have to connect with the VPN app before starting Control4's MyHome app on your device when away from home.

As mentioned by others, there are solutions for Alexa and some of the other 4Sight-provided services, and a VPN also provides you access to non-Control4 resources within your home's network.

I personally do both, because 4Sight makes the Control4 services seamless, and I take advantage of most of the 4Sight services (remote access, Alexa, etc.).

Best wishes to original poster, whatever choice they make on accessing their system.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have the script or instructions on setting up the VPN that works well for Control4 remote access?  I have a cisco meraki router and APs.  i guess I can call Meraki support to help but wanted to check if there is anything special I need to do from the Control4 side?  Thanks experts.

Thanks guys... .i just setup my cisco meraki VPN and now I can access Control4 remotely (securely) without paying them anything ;-)  No other vendor charges for secure cloud access that I am aware of except Carrier for their internet thermostat (but nest, myq, etc) don't charge for this standard service.  Thanks experts.

3 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

2gig alarms charge extra for interactive mobile access in addition to monitoring, crestron charges $100 for the app itself, not sure if URC and RTI do

I would VPN around them too if possible..  as long as they dont' charge when devices are locally wifi connected (and IP address resolved) then you can VPN around it (you can't if name resolution is used like SONOS... urgh).

23 minutes ago, Norman Fekrat said:

Thanks guys... .i just setup my cisco meraki VPN and now I can access Control4 remotely (securely) without paying them anything ;-)  No other vendor charges for secure cloud access that I am aware of except Carrier for their internet thermostat (but nest, myq, etc) don't charge for this standard service.  Thanks experts.

Then you're not aware of very many. It's very much the industry standard that remote access requires an extra fee.

4Sight also has more services than just remote app access, making it very advantageous compared to other solutions.

3 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Then you're not aware of very many. It's very much the industry standard that remote access requires an extra fee.

4Sight also has more services than just remote app access, making it very advantageous compared to other solutions.

4sight is an important part of the customer experience especially if you want the full Control4 experience.

6 minutes ago, Norman Fekrat said:

I would VPN around them too if possible.. as long as they dont' charge when devices are locally wifi connected (and IP address resolved) then you can VPN around it (you can't if name resolution is used like SONOS... urgh).

I cant blame you only want remote access, I just wanted to point out that some others do. Not just control4. Also 4sight has other features than just remote access. Just looked it up, RTI charges per connected device $45 per location

Archived