C4 Forums | Control4

Remote building and getting started

pwb

Question

Three questions:

1. building house and have barn about 100 yards from house. If I get the barn on my home network (have plan for that) can I use control4 devices in the barn? (lights/cameras and such)

2.  Where is a good place to get beginner info on programming the system. I was in IT and have a programming background....but have no clue on this...do I code on a pc connected to Control4? and a hoard of other beginning questions.

3. Once installed...is the only thing I need dealer for is to add devices to the system and I can do everything else?

Can't wait to get started. Retired and have a ton of time to dive in.

8 answers to this question

1. Yes if there is a good uplink to the main network you can put an controller out there to manage the zigbee devices.

2. Only a dealer has access to Composer Pro for setup of devices, but there is a Home Edition once the devices are added to the project that allows for some programming and editing that you can do yourself

3. Yes-ish. They add the drivers and make the bindings which tell control4 how things are connected. But HE gives you the ability to program what happens then a room turns on/off, has a certain device selected, add custom buttons to trigger events, edit and make lighting scenes and how they are initiated, etc

Thanks....

So I need another control4 box in the barn? Love their stuff but it is pricey.

Any thoughts on getting started with coding? Is the coding done through an editor with in HE? Can your write the code from a PC keyboard?

There are used HC-250 controllers on eBay for $150ish. Cheaper than an EA-1. Might run that by your dealer and see what he says.

You are going to likely be disappointed in C4 "coding," but I was not disappointed in what I could accomplish. You definitely do NOT sit down with your favorite  coding tools and write lines of code. Control4 is supporting both directions with programming -- updating their ComposerPro and ComposerHE (HE is for me and you) by adding some functionality in the programming editor, etc. Right click menu has some nifty new options which help debugging. Using the Macros Agent, you can write some pretty modular routines you can re-use throughout your project programming. The latest upgrade added When > Then web based programming. ComposerHE analogous to Prosumer and When>Then for the consumer.

Control4 drivers are written in LUA and @annex⁴ and @TheWizard live streamed driver development, start to finish, on their YouTube channel. Very educational. If you are an up-to-speed bit twiddler you can likely jump right into this side of Control4.

Lastly, you've come to the right place. This forum is full of experienced, unselfish dealers that are incredible.

Welcome and enjoy.

p.s. To my knowledge, there is no better end-user programmable professional HA platform than C4. You made a good choice. Just give the ComposerHE drag and drop programming a chance. I also recommend sitting down with your dealer running ComposerPro so you can see what is missing in HE. Start off with "Tell me about connections."

Just trying to understand. How much more can they do with pro (besides add equipment) than I can do with HE.

I am committed to the platform but and still struggling with the lack of total control..................

Just trying to understand. How much more can they do with pro (besides add equipment) than I can do with HE.

I am committed to the platform but and still struggling with the lack of total control..................
Add equipment, add bindings, upgrade drivers, upgrade OS

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, pwb said:

I am committed to the platform but and still struggling with the lack of total control

You have complete control, you just can't add equipment, bindings, and do upgrades as @msgreenf pointed out. To my knowledge, there is no programming a dealer can do that you can't do. Once you get your system in, including a 4sight subscription, get your ComposerHE downloaded and installed. Then go to the https://www.control4.com/for/owners page and look under resources and ComposerHE videos. I typically watch one, go to HE and try it, and then go back and watch it again with it side-by-side ComposerHE. When I'm stuck I come here and ask my question on the forum in the Programming section.

Archived