C4 Forums | Control4

sonos play1

Mmeglio

Question

Hello,

I was reading a bit and i think it's possible integrate the sonos with control4.

I have a 4 zone amps in my system, can i use the play 1 in room where there is not directly a speaker connected to the amp?

Besically if i play music from my library in the amp and at the same time stream it trough sonos?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

I don't have Sonos, but I think you need certain hardware to make this work.

First of all you need a Sonos Connect (or Connect Amp) device at the Heart of your integration.

This Sonos Connect would need to be hardwired Networked and would then act as the Gateway between Control4 & Sonos Play Speakers.

Then you would add the Play Speakers, Soundbars or whatever Sonos products you have to the different rooms in the house & get this all added to your Control4 configuration.

The Integration itself in Control4 works well I believe, but is quite limited, in that you are limited to simply activate up to 50 Favourites from your existing Sonos setup, where a favourite could be a Radio station, Playlist or whatever.

Once playing in one Sonos Audio Zone you can easily Add different Sonos Zones to that choice of Audio via Touchscreen, iPhone, programmed pushbutton etc etc.

However, not sure about adding to Control4 Amp zones? You would surely have to take an Analogue Output wired from Sonos directly to your Control4 controllers Analogue input or Control4 Audio Matrix or Matrix Amplifier for it to be played in Control4 Zones?

To actually play the same Audio as could be coming out of your existing Control4 Amplifier, I assume that you need to be feeding an Analogue Stereo signal from the Control4 system into the Play device itself?

Not sure if this helps, but they are my thoughts. Maybe other contributors can back me up on this or put me right...........probably the latter.

@hank31980 is correct. Control4 can control sonos but getting a play1 just by itself will not allow the ceiling speakers on the control4 amp and the play1 to play the same content in sync with each other. You would need a connect preamp connected to one of the inputs on your amp and then that would allow sonos content on the ceiling speakers and then the play1 would be able to play the same music. The new driver (due to sonos' API and unwillingness to relinquish control) is indeed limited compared to the new one, rendering the audio input uncontrollable so sending audio into the sonos connect for encoding from a control4 controller across sonos zones is a bit useless and overly complicated as the only options are to use sonos' auto play functionality or use the sonos app to select the audio input

If you were on tight budget then you could go for Control4 Speaker point (probably second hand from ebay) and then get it networked via a Plug in Home Plug type device. Not ideal or high end, but it does work.

Ideally though you would take a network cable to the Amp which could be mounted near to the Wall or Ceiling speakers. Oh you would also need a Mains voltage supply for the Speaker Point power supply.

Alternative is to somehow get Speaker cables all the way from a Control4 Amp or Control4 Matrixed amp.

Otherwise, go with new triad devices as described above.

Archived