C4 Forums | Control4

Any other SageTV users out there?

zaphod

There have been a few drivers around for SageTV through the years - both with IR and IP control.  I am working on a new driver using IP control and am willing to share it and I am looking for ideas around functionality.  My main use case is with SageTV HD200 and HD300 extenders but this should  work with PC or AndroidTV clients as well, like the Shield, MiBox, etc.

^ I tried it once years ago Z on your recommendation but it looked like it was dying so I dropped the idea. Thanks for the wiki now I see Google bought it and has taken over the baton. Is Sage having a bit of a resurgence? Just curious if things are on the up with new players/extenders/4K support etc??

Google bought it and used the DVR software in the TV portion of their GoogleTV service.  But that almost killed it as a standalone product.  It has somewhat come back to life as an Open Source project as one of the developers has developed a client for AndroidTV that works well on the Shield or MiBox.  

What SageTV excels at is at Recording and Playing back TV content with a client-server architecture.  The closest competitor was probably Windows MCE which died off after Win7.  

Kodi or Plex (or their forks) are probably better for just playing back stored media files but nothing else is nearly as good for recording TV and dealing with the complexities of TV schedules, conflicts, etc.  And the SageTV hardware extenders were way ahead of their time and are still very useful.  I have 9 of them - one at every TV in my house.   It is harder to record TV these days due to something called HDCP - you may have heard of it ;) .  It isn't that easy to record HD content other than OTA.  You usually need to do D-A-D to record content with something like a Hauppauge HD-PVR.  But there are devices coming out of China like the BM-3000 or variants (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPEG-4-AVC-H-264-HDMI-Encoder-Replace-HD-Video-Capture-Card/1856597088.html) that can encode HD and some forms of 4K.  These normally work with SageTV thanks to the work of one of the developers.  These also seem similar to the JAP or some of the other HDMI-ethernet solutions.

Lol Zaphod  haha your a hoot man.... :"heard of HDCP" that cracked me up..

Go to Israel and get yourself a VBox and use that into the Vbox XMBC pluggin.. or maybe that will work with Sage? 

Anyway there is always JRiver remember that? 

Now wait - where is the development of that JRiver driver again?

But sure a Sage driver? why the heck not! .. 

Happy new year!

(And to you as well Nitro if you are still out there) 

Damn I miss all that

What a guy.

• 2 years later...

I have an IP driver that I have kind of hacked together.  PM me and I can send you the info.  It works quite well but requires a bit of config, such as entering the MAC and IP of the SageTV extender(s).  So they will need to have fixed IPs via DHCP res or static IP settings.  Of course, you will need a dealer to install it if you are not a dealer yourself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.