C4 Forums | Control4

Router for my control4 automation

victory99

I recently got a quote from my integrator and everything looks good and pretty satisfied except for the router and wifi access points.

They are pushing me to go with Luxul (XWR3150 or ABR4500) router and 2 Luxul WAP (XAP1510). I am okay with the router but not okay with the WAP's .
Our house was wired 4 access point and I want to go with Ubiquiti - UniFi (UAP-AC-PRO). But the integrator says they had issues with these AP's and also they are not compatible with the luxul routers. Can anyone please recommend the router models (that can replace XWR3150) that integrates well with Ubiquiti  and better router plus AP's combinations. Has anyone had issues with the above mentioned Luxul routers?

Our house is close to 7000 sq ft with three levels and we have cotrol4 EA5 in the current quote and planning to do video distribution in future. Please advise.

If you want the Luxul router, go with Luxul WAPs. If you go with a UniFi Router, go with UniFi WAPs. I have unifi my house and haven’t had any problems. 

Depending on what configuration you need, either go with the USG or the USG pro. 

The odds are your dealer has had problem setting dhcp reservations before connecting the device in the past. That’s been sorted now and using the UniFi cloudkey everything works very well. 

I am currently running a Luxul ABR-4400 with 2 Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro's and they work great.  Pulled my existing Luxul AP's out and switched to the AC-Pro's and couldn't be happier.  Went from about 24-26 Mbps with the Luxul's to 65Mbps with the Ubiquiti's. Agreed that a cloud key needs to be installed, if nothing else for ease of configuration and remote access. 

Depends on if you want to have the integrator be responsible for the network, or if you want to be responsible.

If the integrator is responsible, then any network problems are their problem, not yours.  IP address changed, they have to fix it.  TV keeps dropping off WiFi? They have to fix it. You get to be the demanding customer who says "make it work," and they have to do it.  But, you have to use equipment that they support. So find out if they will support what you want. 

If not, you can go ahead and install whatever you want, but then they won't have any responsibility for the network.  When they can't connect one of the components, it's your problem to fix. And they get to tell you "make it work" and play on their phones while you fix the network so they can continue their job.

I've never used Luxul so I can't comment on the quality vs Ubiquiti or anyone else... my point is only to be aware of what you are getting into.  Automation systems like C4 absolutely require a strong, reliable network, which is why the integrators are keen to own the network components too.

Honestly I have never used Luxul but I hear the new stuff is pretty good.

We sell a Ubiquiti USG router, Cloud Key, and UAP-AC-PRO Waps on every site. We also use all Unifi switches and spec for size as needed.

As a small all in one with the new Pakedge WR1 has impressed us. I haven't used Pakedge's higher end gear due to price points.

I have seen some integrated use an Edge Router with Unifi WAPs which makes absolutely no sense at all. Just use all Unifi everything. The USG is a great router, but dont forget the cloud key as it is an essential piece.

13 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

I have seen some integrated use an Edge Router with Unifi WAPs which makes absolutely no sense at all. Just use all Unifi everything. The USG is a great router, but dont forget the cloud key as it is an essential piece.

There are some downsides to the USG, but it is improving.  You still have to use the CLI to do some VPN configuration as that hasn't all been added to the GUI.  And why do you say you need a cloud key?  I run Unifi in a docker container on my unRAID server.  Depending on who will be using it and how often you can do something like that or run it on a regular Windows PC, or even an RPi.

Again the question is will you be managing your LAN or do you want the dealer to do that?

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. 

As Livitup mentioned, i might need help from my integrator in case of wifi/IP issues or any network issues that I cannot resolve. Given my limited knowledge on networking, not sure if I can handle those high end routers and access points.

Archived