C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 intercom & gate not always opening

Hiya

Our DS2 is installed at the front gate and is hardwired. 

For opening the gate we have custom buttons and also one appears when we accept the call from the intercom on the touch screen  

I haven’t found a way to replicate this but sometimes when someone presses the call button and it calls the touch screen, a lot of the time, the gate custom buttons don’t work. 

Ive assumed this is a network issue but we do have a pretty strong network and everything is hardwired. 

Also sometimes when I just press the open gate custom button normally, there’s a huge delay and sometimes it just won’t work. 

Our network is modem -> USG -> switches and 3 APs around the house. C4 touch screen and DS2 and pretty much everything is hardwired in. 

Not sure if anyone will be able to help but any ideas on what I could check next?

is there a way for me to confirm that the DS2 is indeed hardwired and not wireless? Maybe a faulty cable with the cat6 has made it wireless or something?...

I guess it depends how the gate is wired into the system. 

Custom buttons have been stable for ages (ever). The DS2 has had issues but none with the buttons on it (AFAIK).

Thus, I assume the problem has nothing to do with the software. 

Check the programming on the custom button and see what it does. Presumably it triggers (or toggles) something that ultimately connects to a relay on one of your controllers (or even the door station).  You will probably need  dealer to figure this out as ultimately you need to see Connections in Pro. Once you have identified what relay the programming triggers, finding the problem is relatively easy.

Assuming the gate motor works from other controls, my guess is that either the wire from the relay to the gate is damaged, the connection into the relay on the controller is loose or the relay in the controller is damaged. The last two are easy to fix but probably need a dealer to diagnose. Moving the physical wire (and the binding to another relay) will probably fix the problem (dealer).

DS2 relay1 is connected to the electronic gate relay.

Gate driver is just a relay, invert relay checked and type is toggle.

When the custom button for open gate is pressed the following macro is executed:

open electronic gate

delay 5 seconds

close electronic gate

The only other way of control is a fob which works fine when there is a line of sight.

Does anything stick out and knowing the above is the wiring something I can check myself? If so, what am I looking for in the DS2?

Something 'feels' off in the setup.

What I don't know is what the GATE requires to trigger, but I'm assuming it's (to put it simply) similar to a garage door and just needs a pulse to work.

What you HAVE however is a relay that is set to close for 5 seconds (ie send a very long 5 second pulse to open the gate) then open again (ie be open to close the gate).

What I would expect in a single relay gate is:

Relay that is set to pulse (300ms, play with this number as required)

Not sure on the DS2 relay off the top of my head, but I would expect it is/should be wired to NO (ie normally open) in which case you would NOT invert the relay.

Programming would just be:

When button is pushed
Close the relay

Being a pulse relay it would open automatically.

If I just say open the gate then the gate will open and stay open until I press the close button. 

The relay is closed when the gate is open/opening and open when the gate is closed/closing. 

My dealer did say that it’s not what a normal gate is like but the advantage is it means we can have a hold open custom button which just opens. 

Does that make sense now? What I can’t get my head around is the inconsistency and why when the DS2 is calling the T3s, the gate almost never responds to anything until after the call is ended.

There is no advantage, on a 'normal' operation, pulse would just toggle open and close - in other words it would stay open by default until you pulse again.

The ONE advantage would be that you would have fairly accurate feedback on status.

So as I understand it your bit of programming should open the gate, then close it after 5 seconds? That seems a rather short amount of time....

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

There is no advantage, on a 'normal' operation, pulse would just toggle open and close - in other words it would stay open by default until you pulse again.

The ONE advantage would be that you would have fairly accurate feedback on status.

So as I understand it your bit of programming should open the gate, then close it after 5 seconds? That seems a rather short amount of time....

Yeah that’s what I thought but when I time the motor on the gate which keeps running for a some seconds after the gates touch the gate stopper thing it amounts to around 10-15 seconds. 

Archived