C4 Forums | Control4

AMP16 - v1, v2, v3? Differences?

justice16

Considering adding a amp 16 to my setup, but wondering if there are any technical differences between the original amp16 (Multi-Channel Amp16A1-B), v2 and the latest v3 model. Can anyone list out technical differences and any functionality I might be giving up by using a v1? Someone locally is looking to sell a v1 unit, hence why I have access to it.

v.1 units were prone to having power supply issues, that was the major change between v.1 and v.2.

v.3 units are completely redone, new chassis and binding posts, as well as a parametric equalizer. It also has a better internal board layout and integrated D3Audio chipset, as opposed to using the D3Audio prebuilt modules like on v.2.

The v.3 is a much nicer unit overall.

RyanE

Great info - thanks for the follow up. Besides the power supply issues though, I don't see any functional differences (perhaps the only one being the eq) - i.e. streaming audio works the same, switching, etc - no noticeable major feature impact, correct? Cost difference for a new v3 unit vs a v1 is quite significant.

Between the v.1 and v.2, there was no functional (or appearance) differences at all.

Between v.2 and v.3, there are considerable appearance differences (gold binding posts, new industrial design (rounded edges, etc.), etc.) and also design difference (new board layout, etc.)

About the only functional difference between the v.1/2 and v.3 is the parametric equalizer.

Just beware of that local v.1... If you have a power supply issue with it, it's not an 'off-the-shelf' power supply like a PC...

RyanE

One other question - my understanding is that the amp16 is just a audio matrix switch with an amp - i.e. you can't stream audio to it over the network port (network port is for just control and firmware updates). Is this correct?

If that's the case, I'd assume I am limited the the number of outputs coming off my htc-500 (as I'd patch those straight into the amp16 inputs). I guess I could add streams with an ethernet speaker point and just run the line level outputs into the amp16 - any other suggestions to get more than 2 streams of audio?

Finally - can the amp16 to one to many matrixing? I.e. send input 1 to output 2,3,4,5,6?

One other question - my understanding is that the amp16 is just an audio matrix switch with an amp - i.e. you can't stream audio to it over the network port (network port is for just control and firmware updates). Is this correct?

Correct. The only devices that can act as streaming audio endpoints in a Control4 system are Controllers and SpeakerPoint devices.

If that's the case, I'd assume I am limited the the number of outputs coming off my htc-500 (as I'd patch those straight into the amp16 inputs). I guess I could add streams with an ethernet speaker point and just run the line level outputs into the amp16 - any other suggestions to get more than 2 streams of audio?

Also (mostly) correct. The HC-500 has *3* audio outputs. An HC-300 has 2. You could also add additional controllers, if you needed more I/O and/or more OnScreen displays in additional rooms.

Finally - can the amp16 to one to many matrixing? I.e. send input 1 to output 2,3,4,5,6?

Yes. It can send any line-level input to zero or more amplified outputs.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

Archived