C4 Forums | Control4

c4-amp108

rf9000

I’ve used it in multiple situations and yes imho it is a weak amp.
Now if all your interested in is basic background music then it may work for you.
For outside music it’s very weak.
If you want to party then this is NOT the amp you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rf9000,

As usual with audio, what constitutes "adequate" power is relative from listener to listener and based on the application in which the product is being used.  The Control4 AMP108 is Control4's older generation multi-room amplifier and is now discontinued.  Being that it was a multi-room amplifier it provided good power for background audio, but certainly was not designed for a high-end 2-channel listening room.  Its signal to noise ratio was 86 dB, which is pretty typical for an amplifier in this category.  That being said we heard from customers that it didn't sound very loud due to the inherent noise level.

The replacement for the AMP108 is Control4's Triad 8-Zone Power Amplifier.  While still in the "multi-room" category it provides a much higher quality audio experience due to its much higher 110 db signal to noise ratio.  With an amplifier with this performance although the watts per channel are roughly the same on paper as the AMP108, it sounds much more dynamic, meaning you will hear more detail when playing a lower volumes and will sound louder when turned up.  That being said, you'll want to make sure that everything else in the signal chain is of comparable quality to have the best experience.  Control4's Triad 8x8 and 24x24 Audio Matrix Switch, when paired with the Triad 8-Zone Power Amplifier provide the best experience as they are both roughly at the same SNR.  We recommend trying out this new amplifier as many have compared its quality and output to be on par with the Control4 8 zone matrix amplifier mentioned above.

David Acton

Director of Product Management, Control4 Listen Solutions

I’m using these amps for non critical listening such as 2 speakers in the kitchen, dining room, etc.  they are fine.  They also power to speakers outdoors and a tad light but still fine I just turn up the volume a bit

for my main entertainment area I have a stand-alone AVR and real box speakers.  

Archived