C4 Forums | Control4

itunes server capabilities?

cfgenie

Does anyone know if C4 can work with a Buffalo Terastation Live in order to stream an iTunes server - therefore playing songs purchased through iTunes with DRM?

Product webpage: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/terastation-live/

It's a NAS with DLNA media server. What currently happens is when I open iTunes, a shared library shows up as if it were a computer running iTunes. Since this is where we store all of our music, its convenient to have one central iTunes library...

Or I guess another question is can C4 pick up on any computer that is running iTunes, and then control it?

What I am really trying to accomplish is to play m4p and other DRM files throughout my whole house audio system. I just happen to already have the TeraStation.

Thanks.

The easiest thing to do would be to hook up an apple tv, since it will play all the purchased itunes content. You could digitize the stereo outputs with a speakerpoint or HC300 for example, and then stream it throughout your project.

Other than that, Control4 only supports .mp3 files at this time, so unless you want to convert them all over somehow (I'm sure Google could help you do that) you will not get the advantage of having cover art and metadata through the control4 system and displaying on the remotes/touchpanels. You will simply be controlling the Apple TV interface with the control4 remote as if you were using the Apple TV remote.

http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=2250

True but it's like 30 cents a track or something like that.

Yeah, but I'd rather pay the $ vs. rip the mp4 to cd and then re-import as mp3. A fraction of my time (and $) or hours and hours of it. :/

This of course assuming you don't have hundreds & hundreds or even thousands of DRM songs :o

I have the apple tv which is great for rooms with distributed video, but it would still be nice to have the metadata info able to be browsed from the touch screens especially for rooms without tvs (In my case, mostly bathrooms and outdoor areas) An Ip driver for Apple tv to show metadat and album art would be awesome. Has anyone done this?

I have tried tune bite as well but I have 5000 song database already and dont want to deal with having multiple copies of the same music and it is not convenient as I am always buying music in itunes and got tired of maintaining 2 databases of music. The other problem with tunebite is itunes music already is not true cd quality and then when you rip a compressed format it just gets worse.

Someone mentioned DRM free, but they do not offer drm free for every song.

Aren't there other music servers that you can license to play drm files? (Request IQ) I would pay a license fee to control4 for this feature to play drm music from a network share or internal hard drive.

What about .wav's? C4 doesn't play .wav's? I have always imported cd's or converted purchased songs to .wav, not .mp3.

I just did a quick scan of our music server and here are the current file counts of each type:

.m4p 967

.wav 3693

.mp3 6341

This means that out of 11,001 songs, 4660 of them would not play through C4. I understand that I could pay $290 to get those 967 .m4p's from iTunes as .mp3's, but what about those 3600+ .wav files?

Best thing C4 could do is interface with itunes, ipod (already done) and appletv and get out of the media business...

best thing for us to do now is get the ipod base and only use an ipod. it supports all file formats already. All you lose is browsing by cover art, but everything else is supported...

• 1 month later...

"best thing for us to do now is get the ipod base and only use an ipod. it supports all file formats already. All you lose is browsing by cover art, but everything else is supported..."

I too have been playing my music thru an apple TV and using Apple's free Remote app on my iPhone. Works and has cover art but it's not perfect. If I go the iPod route I assume I'll have to actually HAVE an iPod, sync all my music to it and then physically move the ipod to the control4 base? Not a big deal but does control4's ipod solution allow me to just hook up a wire between my computer itunes, bypassing the ipod. (I assume not.)

Does anybody have a picture of what the interface to browse looks like? I know it doesn't include cover art but will it seamlessly intergrate with everything else in control4? Specifically, will I be able to browse songs and playlist from the navs and remote 250s?

The Control4 Dock for iPod is manufactured by Control4, and allows you to browse for music and videos on the iPod from anywhere in the house, from any Navigator interface or from the 10-button LCD keypad, or any of the system remotes (as of version 1.7.0, I believe).

The interface is the same as the interface on an iPod itself. That is, you see a main menu, and you can choose to view Podcasts, Music, Artists, Albums, Composers. When you choose one, you get a list of that category, and you can select down into those categories to choose what you wish to listen to.

There is a 'now playing' interface that shows you what is currently playing on the iPod. For music, this *can* show the cover art available from the iPod.

RyanE

Ryan

how do you access the 'playing now' from the SR-250? i cannot make rooms join a zone playing the Ipod. it always prompts for a new selection and there is no way that i found to make a room join an ipod zone.

That's an issue in 1.7.1, I found out the other day. I didn't make the driver for it, and also don't have one...

I think it was an oversight that you were always prompted for a new selection.

Apparently, they are adding a menu item from the main menu that allows you to select the iPod in a room.

Unfortunately, I don't know the details. Sorry.

RyanE

Archived