C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone using 4+ C4 tstats in cold weather and HAPPY?

C4Newbie

I changed all of my stats out to Control4 stats this past November and they seem so flaky. I'm told they are definitely setup correctly but sometimes the actual temperature in the room is several degrees different than what the stats actually say. As a result, the room keeps pumping heat, etc. Also, even if the some of the stats are set to like 52 degrees, the house won't cool down to anything below 57. I have the over/under set to +/- 1.

My conclusion is that the stats are just poorly made and unreliable. Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm really hoping that Zigbee Pro comes out soon and that I can swap these POS for something reliable. Anyone have any info on timeframes for that?

Oh, by the way, I've posted several times on the specific issues on this form and have read all of the threads. This is really just a venting thread.

Otherwise, I love my C4.

We have customers with several T-Stats in their home(s) and have no situations with them.

Here are some variables to look at:

Location of T-Stats. (Sun coming in on them, type of walls) I have seen some jacked up places the HVAC techs try and place a Stat.

Calibration, What type of calibration tool is being used?

Are the Stats on constant power to the units or power stealing? Some HVAC techs don't know the difference.

Just a quick few..

I don't care for them. I had to calibrate two that were over 5 degrees off the standard traceable stick thermometer. Also, I don't know where, for the life of me, these things are getting re-set from but today the house was like at 75 degF against a programmed set-point of 64. I don't get it, my dealer programmed these so what's a guy to do?

Yes, exactly. That same stuff happens to me with the overshoot. These things are crap.

By the way, thecodeman, the reason I would keep it 57 degrees is because it is a weekend house. Therefore, the only time I want to pay for heat is when I am there. Otherwise, I just want to prevent the pipes from bursting, etc.

Yes, exactly. That same stuff happens to me with the overshoot. These things are crap.

By the way, thecodeman, the reason I would keep it 57 degrees is because it is a weekend house. Therefore, the only time I want to pay for heat is when I am there. Otherwise, I just want to prevent the pipes from bursting, etc.

Makes sense. Guess I'm glad I dont have a thermostat yet. Maybe they are making a v2 :lol:

I have two of these and after calibration they have worked flawlessly for me for almost a year. The undershoots and overshoots always seem to be spot on. If I have my thermostat set to 72 and I look at the current temp, it is 72 the majority of the time, the only time it is off is if it is in the process of heating/cooling. Sorry you are having these issues.

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of where a good dealer makes he difference! I have more than 50 of these things in customers homes - each have been calibrated - and NOT ONE COMPLAINT! They work and they work great! Those of you having problems need to go back to your dealer, have them properly calibrated and make sure they were setup correctly to begin with! These are NOT JUNK - this is a great example of where Control4 did NOT intend this to be a consumer installed product (not that I'm trying to throw fuel on the fire of other threads - but this is exactly what other dealers and myself have been arguing in other threads - when something doesn't work correctly... people jump the gun and blame Control4 and quality... tisk tisk tisk!!!!)

Slemay, for your information, I've had my dealer look at this repeatedly. I've had an electrician look at this repeatedly (who happens to be C4 dealer) and spoke with C4 tech support, and I've had a remote dealer also look into this. Additionally I had my HVAC company come and look at it while the dealer was at my house.

These things are crap. I've observed as they have been calibrated only to notice that one minute the reading is accurate, and the next it is several degrees off. I've had the stats swaped out, the switches changed for tested, recalibration, and adjustments to over/undershoot.

I'll repeat, these things are crap. My understaning is they were made by someone internally at C4, not OEM'd by a company who has experience making them. I only hope that C4 will reach an agreement with Honeywell, Aprilaire, or another well known company to embed C4 functionality into their products like they are doing with TV's (LG), etc.

Until then, my home continues to adjust by several degrees uncontrollably, therefore making my home uncomfortable. My old thermostats made my home MUCH more comfortble.

while we are on the topic of the tstats...curious is anyone out there using sensors to average temperatures with these tstats. it appears that my tstats were installed in the wrong places. the "new" hvac guy thinks i have to either relocate the tstats (not crazy about it as it seems like a lot of work) OR use sensors that measure the temp across my individual zones so i can keep the entire zone at an optimum temperature. any thoughts, comments and help appreciated.

Not an HVAC tech by no means but...

What you can do is install remote temp. sensors at the T-stat locations and wire them to the T-stats, then install the T-stats near the HVAC unit. This basically leaves less wall acne rather than getting "average temps" like you wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

PM me, I have 12 of these in my home and have used for over a year, there are some challenges but I have come up with my own approach that is way to lengthy to explain. Bottom line when you combine with card access motion sensors and the proper calibration tools (ie pop 35 bucks for a good heating sensor) you can make these things hum and I am not talking go up and down during times but truly smart home living. I have so many because I have radiant heat and each room that is heated with radiant is on a seperate thermo zone (can't do that with a forced air system). Yes I am in Michigan so it is cold! As a side note one that I have is on an outside wall and that was a bad call. I need to relocate, but that would have been the same issue with any other thermo.

Steve

PS, I do have card access stuff hooked to my garage also so I tap off the remote sensor for outside temp and that is where you can kick things up a notch with the automation. You need to take the good with the bad :-)

I have two of the C4 stats and I don't have a problem with them. I keep a cheapo digital thermometer nearby and the temps between the t-stat and the thermometer are consistent.

I do have an issue with the temp readings on the CardAccess units as I have had one of them in my wine storage cabinet and it seems to overread by about 5deg F.

Archived