C4 Forums | Control4

PoE Routers and Switches

ILoveC4

I am looking at this switch and I am wonder what people opinions are: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220359662147&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123

I know that Cisco is a good name. I am looking for something simple. I am adding some more cameras and touchpanels. I currently don't have any PoE devices, therefore I have no experience with PoE routers and switches. I am just looking for something reliable that won't break the bank.

Thanks!

We use Dell switches and can recommend them. They work without any configuration. If they are managed switches, they can be configured (but don't have to be to function out the box as a plain vanilla switch). PoE functionality comes right out of the box after you plug the IEC cable in.

I can't comment on the Cisco PoE swtiches as we haven't used them before (although that looks like a great deal, and I'd love to hear feedback if someone has some).

Very important to note (especially if you are a DIY)... PoE switches are noisy (i.e. think of a small fan on high on a hot summer day...except fan runs all year long). This is fine in a rack in a closet or in a basement obviously, and if you have it in your living room, you will be upset. These devices run hot, hence the multiple (and therefore loud) fans.

We use Dell switches and can recommend them. They work without any configuration. If they are managed switches, they can be configured (but don't have to be to function out the box as a plain vanilla switch). PoE functionality comes right out of the box after you plug the IEC cable in.

I can't comment on the Cisco PoE swtiches as we haven't used them before (although that looks like a great deal, and I'd love to hear feedback if someone has some).

Very important to note (especially if you are a DIY)... PoE switches are noisy (i.e. think of a small fan on high on a hot summer day...except fan runs all year long). This is fine in a rack in a closet or in a basement obviously, and if you have it in your living room, you will be upset. These devices run hot, hence the multiple (and therefore loud) fans.

which are designed to run in data centers with clean(er) air and lower temps. i.e. be prepared for a fan to burn out after some # of years and need replacement if using in a home environment.

We use Dell switches and can recommend them. They work without any configuration. If they are managed switches' date=' they can be configured (but don't have to be to function out the box as a plain vanilla switch). PoE functionality comes right out of the box after you plug the IEC cable in.

Very important to note (especially if you are a DIY)... PoE switches are noisy (i.e. think of a small fan on high on a hot summer day...except fan runs all year long). This is fine in a rack in a closet or in a basement obviously, and if you have it in your living room, you will be upset. These devices run hot, hence the multiple (and therefore loud) fans.[/quote']

which are designed to run in data centers with clean(er) air and lower temps. i.e. be prepared for a fan to burn out after some # of years and need replacement if using in a home environment.

or just have a maintenance contract with the customer and stop by every few months for a cleaning.......

The switch will be mounted in a closed/cooled rack in my basement storage area, which is already plenty cool. That being said I am not concerned about the sound at all.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Dell switch.

Thanks for the input guys.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update - we purchased the aforementioed Cisco PoE switch, and it was quiet (no, not silent), was 10/100, and worked well. We will probably continue to use the Dell switches simply because we have a good relationship with our Dell rep, and they work great (read, not much reason to change what works well-enough already). It's a good shop piece to have lying around if you need to configure multiple PoE devices on the cheap.

• 2 months later...
The switch will be mounted in a closed/cooled rack in my basement storage area, which is already plenty cool. That being said I am not concerned about the sound at all.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Dell switch.

Thanks for the input guys.

Did you end-up with this switch and how is it working out for you? Thanks

Did you end-up with this switch and how is it working out for you? Thanks

I actually didn't. I ended up going with a business class linksys switch that I bought at Best Buy. I had a few upgrades in mind that were going to require several more PoE ports, but I ended up having to replace my bicycle (about $5,000) which killed the C4 upgrade dead in it's tracks....for now.

When I do get around to adding some cameras and touchpanels (later this year) I will be on the look out for one of these again.

Have you ever used the Dell Powerconnect 3424P? any comments?

thanks

Archived