C4 Forums | Control4

Video Source Auto-Activating At Midnight

Hello C4 Braintrust,

I've been looking into an issue from some time and haven't been able to make any progress on my own. What I am experiencing is that one of my rooms is activating a video source (Kodi) every night at midnight.  The odd part is that the TV isn't turned on, nor the receiver like it does if manually activated.  As a result I have to power the room off before selecting a source in the morning otherwise components won't come on as it thinks they are already started.  I want to say it started around the time of the 2.9 or 2.10 upgrade, but it very well could have been something I did unknowingly.

I setup a push notification to help track down the moment it happens, and I found the following log snippet which confirmed my suspicions.  Unfortunately the director.log is so verbose and rotates so quickly that by the time I wake up it's already been rotated out of existence, gZip or otherwise.

https://pastebin.com/PfWAZcRL  #<---------Starts at 4 seconds after midnight.

I have no schedules that run at midnight, and have scoured Composer HE for errant misconfigurations.  I know a workaround could easily be implemented, but I'd like to know the root cause, be it myself, bug, etc.  BTW, Is there a way to enumerate all configurations easily?  Seems like that would be a useful troubleshooting tool if it doesn't exist already.

Any help would be most appreciated.  BTW, I am also looking for a new remote integrator as my current remote integrator is no longer performing remote work.

Cheers!

-Lzk

First, check for wake up being active - it's the first thing to look at when things 'just turn on' by itself.

Second if neither the TV or the receiver are on, it sounds like it may be something in the Kodi device triggering something.

Last:

2018-05-27 23:59:46 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver Keypad Dimmer(58) fired event VARIABLE_CHANGED(4568)
2018-05-27 23:59:57 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver Adaptive Phase Dimmer(56) fired event VARIABLE_CHANGED(4568)
2018-05-27 23:59:57 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver Single Garage Door(83) fired event RelayClose(2)
2018-05-27 23:59:57 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver KODI (FULL)(212) fired event VARIABLE_CHANGED(1008)
2018-05-27 23:59:58 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver Adaptive Phase Dimmer(54) fired event VARIABLE_CHANGED(4568)
2018-05-27 23:59:58 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: FireEvent: Driver Double Garage Door(85) fired event RelayClose(2)

2018-05-28 00:00:04 -0700 ea1-<MAC_ADDRESS> [3907] INFO: Executing command (SELECT_VIDEO_DEVICE) on driver Living Room(14)

This has me wondering what is programmed on the garage door, or possibly a schedule event that fires the grarage door.

Also, I wonder if there is programming attached to any 'lighting scene activated' that may be causing this behaviour.

Wild! That thing going nuts. 

Have you reconfigured any keypad dimmers?

ie- button 4 in dimmer KP activates kodi in living and now is bound to some lighting scene and the programming is “when xxx happens > press button 4 on dimmer KP” which would fire both events  

i like cy’s Train of thought but I bet the programming is off “when garage door closes” due to the about 6 second delay

can you see detective suite in HE??

Thanks for the input @Cyknight and @knowitall, I corrected the issue with the garage doors, that was test that never got removed (#facepalm). I made a schedule for that so it's no longer firing every minute.  The keypad dimmer is one side of a three-way light with a phase dimmer on the other side.  I checked the programming for all buttons/presses etc. and didn't find any programming that wasn't expected.  After looking up the actual variables it makes sense why there are so many in the logs, it is updating the "MINUTES_OFF" variable for the keypad dimmer, and Kodi is updating the "CPU_USAGE" variable.

It doesn't look like Composer HE has the detective suite, I suppose its part of the Composer Pro?

• 7 months later...

After much troubleshooting I was finally able to narrow down the cause of this issue.

It ended up being a combination of the configuration for the Kodi Full driver by @alanchow and the "Backup" add-on for Kodi.  The issue was that the Backup add-on was configured to show a progress bar during the backup (scheduled at midnight).  This caused Kodi to update its video stream showing said progress.  This change in video was picked up by the Kodi driver's "Kodi Virtual Switcher" that had been set to "start when sensing video" (e.g. - when starting a Movie or TV Show from C4).

Specific to the Backup add-on, you can configure it for silent, like the screenshot below.  This will prevent Kodi from showing a progress bar when a backup is kicked off.  I suspect the same would result for any Kodi add-on that updates the display or has a progress bar etc., a good data point if nothing else.

*Note - The Kodi driver was functioning properly and reacting appropriately based on its configuration.

IMG_4748.jpg

The Kodi driver will only auto-on upon video source or audio source playback (the API is very specific about playback states and sources).

If you have an IRUSB it will also auto on upon audio detected.  This may be the cause if you have an IRUSB.

Archived