C4 Forums | Control4

Fire TV cube with Alexa

At least if has an ethernet port, hopefully the usb port can be used for an IRUSB for external support since the built in IR port is likely an output for cable box/tv control. Interested to see how well the mic would be since placement might be tricky depending on furniture in many cases 

I hope for a different form factor in the future. Tethered mic maybe to a thin unit that can tuck behind a tv.

I think the interesting part is that is adds CEC voice control.

Odd that for some reason projectors are not supported. I would have thought that for many projectors there would be no way to tell they are a projector. The other surprising thing about this is that not supporting a projector makes this less useful in the Alexa for Business scenario where you use Alexa to control a conference room.

Dont think firetvs are big in commercial installs. I see a lot of appletvs and wepresent/barco for screen mirroring. I know you can do it with a firetv but it is not as user friendly. Plus alexa could be ok in those installs but a touch panel is usually better. Most installs especially audio and video conferencing is better to use crestron/rti since the GUI is 100% customizable

They could always add projectors at a later date but that is probably not worth the return on the investment for programing at this time. Most dedicated theaters may not be able to use it very well since the room will be fairly loud and it may be far away from the user or hidden in a cabinet/rack. I have a Google home mini stashed under the couch in mine and it can hear me pretty well. So a regular firetv and a dot might be better for a theater

hopefully this will finally get Nvidia to release the spot. Happy to see this device, as it is always good to have different options to suit a rooms needs. Wish both amazon and android TV would get their video devices to be groupable with the audio only devices so hopefully that will be a feature in the future

This looks very useful, especially if there is some flexibility in how the IR port works.  Even as just an IR extender it is pretty cheaply priced at its initial price of $90.  Hopefully this would also work as a Videostorm receiver.

Hmm Amazon needs to make a more "featured" physical remote that can pair with the FireTV and it sounds like they might really cause Logitech some pain! 

I had my entertainment room fully C4 automated with it's own controller and SR260 remote and tablet. Within a few months my wife made me pull it out because the Logitech Harmony system worked better and was tied to the Amazon Echo which also could control also control the FireTV.

I will have to watch how this plays out but this all in 1 FireTV Cube may even simplify it further though the biggest sticking point for my wife was she liked the feel and size of the Harmony remote and hated the C4 one.

Amazon also needs to expand the feature set of their FireTV Remote app as well and the tablet can become more usable too.

2 minutes ago, DIEHARD said:

Hmm Amazon needs to make a more "featured" physical remote that can pair with the FireTV and it sounds like they might really cause Logitech some pain! 

I had my entertainment room fully C4 automated with it's own controller and SR260 remote and tablet. Within a few months my wife made me pull it out because the Logitech Harmony system worked better and was tied to the Amazon Echo which also could control also control the FireTV.

I will have to watch how this plays out but this all in 1 FireTV Cube may even simplify it further though the biggest sticking point for my wife was she liked the feel and size of the Harmony remote and hated the C4 one.

Amazon also needs to expand the feature set of their FireTV Remote app as well and the tablet can become more usable too.

Just be aware that there appears to be no joy for Harmony remote and the cube

1234.JPG

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Just be aware that there appears to be no joy for Harmony remote and the cube

1234.JPG

Their hub remotes might work since they are bluetooth and can control the current firetv 4k dongle so that may be directed at an IR universal remote. Also might be able to do IRUSB/FLIRC

Ya I was basically saying it has a good chance of replacing the Harmony.. eventually.. and assuming they come up with a Universal remote. ;)

In fact eventually in reality it replaces the Amazon Echo, FireTV and Harmony if they get things right!

51 minutes ago, zaphod said:

This looks very useful, especially if there is some flexibility in how the IR port works.  Even as just an IR extender it is pretty cheaply priced at its initial price of $90.  Hopefully this would also work as a Videostorm receiver.

Could be cool if someone could get an IP driver to work

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2018 at 10:14 AM, sonic30101 said:

Could be cool if someone could get an IP driver to work

The new Fire Cube is fully compatible with both NetPlay (as a receiver) and IRUSB (for IP control of the Fire Cube and to add an IR extender output).

Really great device.  The CEC control is spot on in my system.

7 hours ago, videostorm said:

The new Fire Cube is fully compatible with both NetPlay (as a receiver) and IRUSB (for IP control of the Fire Cube and to add an IR extender output).

Really great device.  The CEC control is spot on in my system.

Presumably it is pretty cost effective in this role as well as you get the streaming device, IR extender and voice control all in one.

Archived