C4 Forums | Control4

What do you all keep plugged into battery backup in your rack?

pinkoos

How's Panamax in terms of price vs performance.  The one my dealer is suggesting is around $1400 (!)

I currently have a really old Tripp Lite (the original that was installed in 2010) for which I replaced the battery back in 2014.  We've had a couple of very brief (few seconds) power outages and though it's not reporting any errors (ie, all the LEDs are green), it hasn't been able to keep any components powered on.

Just now, RAV said:

WHY would your integrator recommend a Panamax UPS if you have Wattbox IP units?

Get the Wattbox UPS, it integrates with the Wattbox units to do shedding, reports to OVRC status and battery life, etc.

The Wattbox won't fit in my rack (I think it's 24" and my rack is 22")

14 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

What are the specs on the Panamax and your Tripp Lite?  Are you saying your Trip Light doesn't work at all now (ie doesn't keep anything powered up at ALL?)?

I believe this is my old Tripp Lite:

https://www.tripplite.com/smartpro-120v-500va-300w-line-interactive-ups-1u-rack-tower-snmpwebcard-option-usb-db9-serial~SMART500RT1U

Yes, with the power outages, everything in the rack died and slowly rebooted/restarted.  The Tripp Lite showed all green LEDs and no errors that I could tell.

Just now, pinkoos said:

I believe this is my old Tripp Lite:

https://www.tripplite.com/smartpro-120v-500va-300w-line-interactive-ups-1u-rack-tower-snmpwebcard-option-usb-db9-serial~SMART500RT1U

Yes, with the power outages, everything in the rack died and slowly rebooted/restarted.  The Tripp Lite showed all green LEDs and no errors that I could tell.

Umm - yeah - I wouldn't drop $1500 on a 1500VA UPS.  Take a look at the APC SMT1500RM2U.  I bought it specifically because it would fit in my 22" rack (it's 18" deep).  I bought a used one with brand new batteries on eBay for $325.

Well, the 1500 wattbox is about an inch deeper, and they're both rear fan, so if you're that tight.....

However the 1100 wattbox is 3 inches shorter. And if you do have a generator is more than enough reserve, average about 30 minutes full C4/Network/DVR/Set Tops without amps.

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

That Tripplite was under powered to begin with.  500VA ain't gonna last you that long when power goes out.

Yeah, but we have a whole house generator, so all I really need the UPS to do is keep the gear on until the generator kicks in (which is usually milliseconds to 1-2 seconds)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 1100 Wattbox installed today and tested by pulling the plug - only 25% load and about 43 minute run time with all my mission critical gear attached.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions..

Incidentally, my dealer mentioned that the manufacturer sent a note out that prices are going to jump about 25% in January secondary to the current US administration’s tariff implementation.

Archived